Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spider gasket?

1. Back To Top    #1

Spider gasket?

It seemed like vacuuming wasn't doing as much good as it should. I did the "sock test" over the inlet this morning and am getting some junk out. We have super fine dust out here in the desert, but I think some particles are a little larger than should go through the filter.Also I pumped about a foot and a half of water out of the pool one day when the valve was on "filter"; water was going out of the backwash hose. Since then, after backwashing, I look at the backwash hose and sometimes have had to "jiggle" the valve handle.
    I had gotten a hayward sand filter from my next door neighbor, it's about 18 yrs old. We replaced the sand when getting it; the laterals looked good. The upright pipe had a piece broken off, but it was all the way at the top where the top piece covers it so can't think that anything could bypass the filter that way. So between the stuff getting through and the water wanting to go out the wrong port, I'm thinking I might have a spider gasket going. Is that what this sounds like? I don't know the model of my filter, so how can I know what gasket to get? I absolutely love the tank; it's such a heavy, durable, well built tank, so wouldn't want to get a new filter unless I have to. Rather just get whatever new "stuff" for it I need to.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spider gasket?

It sounds like a gasket issue. There is also a spring and couple of O-rings in the multiport that can cause issues, but you get to all of them when you go after the spider gasket. If you can't identify it, take the whole valve to a pool store to find a match.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Spider gasket?

Didn't realize all I needed was the valve model number. That is still on the valve; it's SP-714. I can get the gasket-diffuser assembly (they come together) for about $40 a few different places on the web.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner