Uneven skimmer suction

dayhiker

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Pell City, AL
My pool was put in late summer of 07. Up until last summer, the skimmer closest to the pump has pulled a little harder than the other one. Late last summer that seemed to change. The closest skimmer also went all summer without a weir. I don't think that's relevant, but wanted to mention it. This closest skimmer is sucking much less than the other one now. If you had lots of leaves in the pool, you'd probably have an 80/20 or 90/10 split on where the trash wound up. I want to also mention that I've had iron staining issues over the years. This March I did an ascorbic acid treatment like I usually do. The skimmer baskets were mostly clean. The basket on the skimmer in question is now deep rust colored, while the other one is still clean. I did vacuum the pool the other day and this skimmer did work with the vacuum hose on it. Still, it sure seams that there is some sort of obstruction and one that is likely ferrous.

How do I go about investigating obstructions when none are visible? Do you merely get an electrical fish tape or plumbing clog line and snake it through or is there something more invasive that is typically done?

Thanks a bunch.

Re: Skimmer suction loss

dayhiker said:
I did vacuum the pool the other day and this skimmer did work with the vacuum hose on it. Still, it sure seams that there is some sort of obstruction and one that is likely ferrous.
Did you have good suction in the vacuum? If so, it sounds like maybe its a circulation issue instead of an obstruction/suction issue. During the time that you saw a difference in debris collection, did you (or anyone else) change the positioning of your return jets?

blakej said:
dayhiker said:
I did vacuum the pool the other day and this skimmer did work with the vacuum hose on it. Still, it sure seams that there is some sort of obstruction and one that is likely ferrous.
Did you have good suction in the vacuum? If so, it sounds like maybe its a circulation issue instead of an obstruction/suction issue. During the time that you saw a difference in debris collection, did you (or anyone else) change the positioning of your return jets?

They have been moved around some. However, if you were to drop a leaf in front of the "good" one, it would zip right in. Not so on the other skimmer. If you put your hand in the skimmer without the baskets, you can feel a difference. The vacuum did work, but I wouldn't classify it as good suction.

Personally, I have not dealt with this type of issue, but I HAVE read about it here on the forums. Another member used a Drain King on the skimmer side, and a snake from the valve near the pump. Apparently this loosened up lots of gunk and helped him get full suction again.

blakej said:
Personally, I have not dealt with this type of issue, but I HAVE read about it here on the forums. Another member used a Drain King on the skimmer side, and a snake from the valve near the pump. Apparently this loosened up lots of gunk and helped him get full suction again.

I wouldn't imagine that it would be normal to have any type of back flow preventer between the skimmer and the pump would it? From my pump basket, the piping runs a foot or two, then splits with a 3 way to each of hte skimmers and the main drain. Each of the 3 lines has a on/off valve, but no access to the line. I guess I'd have to run a snake from the skimmer side all the way towards the pump.

I tried to run a fish line, but it wouldn't turn the 90's. I took a piece of light and put it in the skimmer with the basket removed and fed it until it got to the pump basket. I opened the pump cover, tied a piece of panty hose to it, then tied a 2nd line. I pulled the line until went all the way back to the skimmer. Nothing. I pulled it back to the pump with the 2nd line. Nothing. I took all of the lines out, got the pump running and it was as if I hadn't done a thing. When the pump is running, the "good" skimmer looks like things are really pulling, the water is very "aggitated," in the skimmer basket. On the other one, barely a ripple.

I'm not losing water, so I don't think I have a line break that would explain the pressure different. Any other thoughts or things I should try?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.