Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice about equipment in pool quote

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice about equipment in pool quote

The pool will be a in ground fiberglass: 37' 9" L X 14' 1" W, depth 3' 10" - 6" 6"=20K gallons
    PUMP: Jandy FHPM 1.0-2SPD
    FILTER: Jandy CS 150sq ft
    3 Returns-looped off of 2" rigid PVC
    1 Skimmer straight run of 2" rigid PVC
    2 Main drains straight run of 2" rigid PVC
    SWCG: Zodiac APURE35

Anything I should change? The builder only deals in Jandy equipment but was open to any "changes" I want to make!
    I was going to go with a sand filter because it's what my parents had in their pool years ago, but after he explained the benefits of a cartridge filter, I was OK with it.
    Thanks for any advice y'all can give me,
    Bill
    Barrier Reef Pacific1-Pacific color 37'9" X 14'1" fiberglass IG ~ 17,500 gallons, FHPM1.0-2 Jandy FloPro pump, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Waterco Multicyclone 16 pre filter, Jandy CV580 filter, 3 PAL-2000 RU LED lights, 1 skimmer, 2 main drains, 3 returns, 2" rigid pvc suction and return plumbing, BBB method, TF100 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice about equipment in pool quote

Jandy makes fine equipment, and I considered buying that same pump! I'd try and get a bigger filter; we always recommend the biggest you can afford and will fit on your equipment pad. It just means you have to clean it less often. You didn't specificially say it, but make sure the drain is not plumbed through the skimmer, but run separately to the pad. I'm a fan of individually run returns too, but looped works just fine. I would rather have them individually so that if one starts to leak, you can just shut it off and use the others.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd go with a larger filter, at least a 200 sqft. I'd also run all the returns back to the pad individually but that's not a must have, it's just a nice to have. Other than that, everything looks ok.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    You didn't specifically say it, but make sure the drain is not plumbed through the skimmer, but run separately to the pad. I'm a fan of individually run returns too, but looped works just fine. I would rather have them individually so that if one starts to leak, you can just shut it off and use the others.
    The main drain and skimmer runs are separate and 2". I will see how much extra the individual return runs are (if he will let me, I can do those). What diameter PVC should be used for 3 individual runs?
    Thanks for all of your and Dave's help!!
    Bill
    Barrier Reef Pacific1-Pacific color 37'9" X 14'1" fiberglass IG ~ 17,500 gallons, FHPM1.0-2 Jandy FloPro pump, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Waterco Multicyclone 16 pre filter, Jandy CV580 filter, 3 PAL-2000 RU LED lights, 1 skimmer, 2 main drains, 3 returns, 2" rigid pvc suction and return plumbing, BBB method, TF100 Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

One more thing, when they plumb your pad make sure they leave plenty of extra room and use couplers, so when it comes time to change out the filter, pump, etc. you don't have to cut out and replace all the plumbing. It seems pool builders love to set up the pad as tight as possible with no room to cut and insert splices if needed, it is far better to have a couple of feet of lead in on all the pipes and the fittings all snug up against one another.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

And use unions everywhere!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the help. Which of the following Jandy filters would you recommend: CV340, CV 460 or the CV 580? I will buy the CV580 since it's the largest unless y'all tell me differently.
    Thanks again for all the help,
    Bill

8. Back To Top    #8

The 580 is a good choice.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Best advice I tell everybody is use the biggest filter you can afford.
    DO NOT USE less than 2" plumbing. No matter how small the pool is you must use 2" or bigger plumbing.
    Leave room for add-ons to your equipment pad. Heater or heat pump, salt chlorinator, sense and dispense unit for chemical automation.
    Put in a color LED light. Do not use a white incadescent light. A color light like the Hayward Colorlogic LED light will make your pool look like a resort in your backyard at night. You will thank me later. Have fun with your new pool.