Accuracy of ph tests?

skurys

Apr 25, 2012
So I tested my water at a pool store a few weeks ago. (said ph was 7.4)

Then I had been using those 10$ 4 way HTH test strips they sell at my local Walmart. ph seemed to be 7.2 but I was worried the strips weren't accurate. So I bought a drop based ph and chlorine test.

Are all phenol red ph tests kits made equally or are some better than others? As I am getting what seems to be an 8.2 and strips still look 7.4ish...

Thanks!

Some of the phenol red PH tests are much more sensitive to the FC level than others. When FC is high (how high that is varies from brand to brand) the sample will turn a sort of purple color that is similar to the 8.2 color but is actually something else. The Taylor tests are fine up to an FC of 10, more or less right but read higher than actual up to almost 20, and that special purple color above that, but some of the cheaper tests can go to that special purple color with FC as low as 5.

Eep!

The strips read 3'ish (turns purple) but the drop based kit is yellow and looks darker than the 3 (max on the scale) so in the meantime I guess I could wait for the chlorine to test ~1-2 and retest ph? Until I get a better test kit that is....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.