Summer Escapes Pro Series 13"x22" rectangular questions

Guys we already fill the pool with water and our old filter broke. So we decided to upgrade it with Intex Sand Filter. Do you guys think that it is safe to open (cut) the hole for outlet while the pool is full with water?

Hooked it up through old pump, minus impeller. But my low flow light keeps coming on swg. Any idea what i can do?

:shock: NEVERMIND :hammer: I left a rubber seal off the skimmer basket. Now everything is running right. crazy water flow and holding at 6psi. :-D

Pysiek said:
Guys we already fill the pool with water and our old filter broke. So we decided to upgrade it with Intex Sand Filter. Do you guys think that it is safe to open (cut) the hole for outlet while the pool is full with water?
I has been done. Use a bowl and have someone hold it over the hole/area on the inside of the pool to cut out or enlarge. That'll help stop a lot of water from being lost.

81 cuttin said:
Hooked it up through old pump, minus impeller. But my low flow light keeps coming on swg. Any idea what i can do?

:shock: NEVERMIND :hammer: I left a rubber seal off the skimmer basket. Now everything is running right. crazy water flow and holding at 6psi. :-D
Yay! Crazy how one little thing can cause issues.

Jamison04- I have the same setup you have (minus the SWG). This is my first year with this pool and the skimmer works GREAT at keeping floating debris out of the pool. I have begun to see small debris floating near the bottom of the pool while we're swimming and I'm considering adding an outlet below the water line to help filter out this non-floating debris. Your thoughts?

jerallen said:
Jamison04- I have the same setup you have (minus the SWG). This is my first year with this pool and the skimmer works GREAT at keeping floating debris out of the pool. I have begun to see small debris floating near the bottom of the pool while we're swimming and I'm considering adding an outlet below the water line to help filter out this non-floating debris. Your thoughts?
A second return would really help I think as the factory one is right at the waterline and even with an angled eyeball it only really seems to circulate the top half of the pool. If and when i have to replace the intex pump and filter i want to get a bigger pump and filter so i can have enough flow for two returns. I wonder how hard it would be to rig up something with the existing drain plug??? Thoughts??? I sometimes wish I had a bottom drain in the middle of the bottom. It'd really help out our set up as the bottom is dished out 6" deeper in the middle and all the junk collects right in the middle. It's easy enough to vacuum that way but it sure would be easier with a bottom drain to pull from.

I'm scared of the drain plug, it is a bit low for my comfort. I was eyeballing an area just below the "band" that contains the legs, which would put it about 12" to 18" from the bottom.

I agree with the center drain- would make life sooooo easy. :goodjob:

I have to replace the summer escapes skimmer as it has developed several cracks on the bottom and I think the stress (from the angle) of the hose hanging off of the old motor housing is making it worse. :( I think that may be my opening(no pun intended) to add a second outlet.

I have seen several pics on here where folks added a skimmer to an intex that came with a submerged outlet and controlled the flow with ball valves. I think that is the way to go. Also, vacuuming should be a bit easier. I don't know about you, but I have a time using the vac because the pump loses prime. A submerged outlet should make it easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our equipment pad is on an elevated deck so the pump isn't very far from the bottom of the skimmer and our hose doesn't hang down much at all, thankfully. Hey that's be the perfect reason to hard plumb too or maybe even just get a diff skimmer instead of the summer escapes one while you are at it. Sure would be easier to hard plumb with a diff skimmer that would make using ball valves a lot easier being all hard plumbed. I don't really have a problem vacuuming and only start to loose prime when the filter starts to get clogged although I put a cartridge in the skimmer when I vacuum to catch the bugs and fine grit to help keep the sand filter cleaner, = less time back washing. Post pics if you decide to do the lower outlet! I'd like to know if it works out better. :) so many ideas, so little time!!! Lol

Ok. I have my site all ready to set up my pool. ProSeries 13'x23' . I didn't set it up this weekend as the weather was lousy. Rain, and 5 to 10 degrees (celcius). I am going to leave the skimmer pump as is for now (will throw it out after it burns out and patch the holes). My plan is to cut 2 new holes for the intake and return for my Intex sand filter pump. Will do this as the pool is filling. I have never seen a ProSeries pool before, and mine is still in the box, but from what comments I've heard, the liner seems to be of very good quality. A couple of questions:

Should I reinforce where I am cutting? Are the existing holes reinforced?
At what height should I cut the holes? A measurement from the top would be best. I guess the measurements off any 52 inch height intex pool would be good to go by.
Is there anything I need to watch out for? I've cut a liner before and other than nerve-wracking the first time, it isn't too bad.

Thanks guys for any advice you may offer.

GC

The factory holes are reinforced with a second layer of liner welded in place. As for placement the location of the holes can be where ever you want them as long as the intake hole is far enough below the water to not suck in air when the water is moving around and the return is usually several inches just below the water. Hopefully someone here can give measurments from an Intex pool. The factory return opening is right at the waterline on our pro series (round) the rectangular models may be diff. Just take your time when while cutting and use a new blade on a utility knife or xacto knife. It's really not that hard just nerve racking! ;)

The return on the rectangular is at the waterline as well according to the picture on the box. So you're thinking I can cut the holes without any reinforcement. I'll give it a shot and hope for the best. I did it before with no trouble but that was on a much much smaller pool: 12 foot circular pool. It's weird that they would have the return right at the waterline.

Many of us on here have cut into our liners; so far with no ill effects. The liner material is tough stuff. I would however wait for a warm sunny day to do it as it'll make for easier cutting with the liner more pliable. Just don't forget the gaskets on the fittings when you go to put them in. As for the return at the water line, design flaw!! Just like how the bottom of the skimmer is right in the middle of the decorative waterline pattern that you now can't see because it is under water for the skimmer to function properly. :roll:

Cutting NEW holes in liner.

I have mentioned it here in another thread, and got some great feedback. Figured if I started another thread with an appropriate title I may get more feedback. Here goes.

Please keep everything relating to a single question or project together in one place. Thanks JasonLion

I have a new ProSeries 13'x23'x52" above ground pool. One look at this picture ( http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2 ... ?locale=en )and you can see that the pump/filter location is at one end of the pool, with both intake and return at waterline or thereabouts. It's a skimmer pump, and no other pump or filtration method is included with this pool. I have read horrible reviews on the pump that comes with it, but that's not a problem as I have a sand filter. I intend to hook up the sand filter when I set my pool up (hopefully this coming weekend). I intend to set the included skimmer pump up as it's supposed to be, and cut new holes at lower levels for the intex sand filter. The new holes will also be positioned more appropriately along the length of the pool. Here are my main questions:

1. At what depths should I cut the new holes? If someone could measure the distance from the top of the frame to the intake and return holes on any 52 inch deep intex type pool, those numbers should be good.

2. Should I reinforce where I will be cutting, as these will be new holes and there will be no reinforcement at these locations? This is my major concern.

3. When the included skimmer pumps gives out (which according to reports could be soon!!) I will not be replacing it. What will I use to patch the skimmer and return holes?

I have cut a liner before and zero problems, but that was in a 12 foot round pool. This is a much bigger pool with I am assuming much more water pressure. Thanks all for any advice you may offer.

GC

GC I have same skimmer pump as you are. 2 weeks ago I upgraded the small pump to a sand filter. Instead of patching the skimmer hole I just keep it and use http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Escapes-Skimmer-Filter-Conversion/dp/B004ZH50FE this adapter to replace the small pump. Works like a charm. Can send you some pictures if you want to. But my pool is a summer escape 18'X48" deep round

Hi Pysiek, and thanks for the info. The reason I don't want to do that is the location of the holes. I want them farther apart, and also, farther below the waterline. I am going to keep the skimmer pump connected as normal, but when it burns out, I will just get rid of it. Are the holes in your round pool close to the waterline? I am wondering if you suck any air through the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.