Any idea what this pipe is for??

No jacuzzi, I just have a pool. Is this maybe where I can pump water into the sewer if I have to drain? These are the only two pics I have as I am at work currently. It is also located near a pipe that goes underground when I backwash. Its the strangest mystery to me!

My CYA is around 150 currently so this weekend I have to rent a pump and drain over half my pool. I was trying to figure out where I am supposed to pump the water.

No more chlorine pucks for me! I got rid of my pool service, ordered a test kit and going to spend a few days on this site reading the right way to care for the pool.

Thanks!

It could be for backflushing a DE filter. It may also be a ground water relief pipe to prevent ground water from floating your pool when you drain the water. If the latter, I believe these are used to pump out the ground water around the pool so that it reduces the chance of floating the shell. Before you empty your pool, you really should find out if this might be for mitigating the effects of ground water. You might check with the local building inspector to see if they have any documentation on this for your house (or if they have knowledge of ground water issues).

jhever said:
No jacuzzi, I just have a pool. Is this maybe where I can pump water into the sewer if I have to drain? These are the only two pics I have as I am at work currently. It is also located near a pipe that goes underground when I backwash. Its the strangest mystery to me!

My CYA is around 150 currently so this weekend I have to rent a pump and drain over half my pool. I was trying to figure out where I am supposed to pump the water.

No more chlorine pucks for me! I got rid of my pool service, ordered a test kit and going to spend a few days on this site reading the right way to care for the pool.

Thanks!
I don't have a jacuzzi either but I do have jacuzzi jets in my steps that bubble like a actual jacuzzi. These returns have to have an air source which is why I have a similar pipe sticking out of the ground similar to the one you have pictured. These returns have a venturi that draws air in from the vent pipe.

Could it be the over flow pipe that is connected to the side of the simmer. My simmers have a pvc fitting on the side that you could plumb to automatically drain your pool when the water got to high. It comes from the factory pluged so in order for it to work you have to cut the plug out and it is located on the inside back wall of the skimmer. If this pipe is above the height of the deck it probably is not a drain line.

Hmm...Its the strangest thing because its not close to the pump or skimmer. Such a mystery!

When draining a pool with a sub pump where do I pump the water to? I cant figure out where I am supposed to dump 13k gallons of water.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks to be too small for a backwash line, those should be about 3 inches or so. Does it point towards the AC unit and is that area full of rock? It looks like there is a green border that surrounds the pipe and that leads me to believe that it could be for the AC condensation drain.

To test if it is an air intake for jets of some sort, blow air into the line with a shop vac. If bubbles come out of your returns then you have your answer.

It points away from the AC unit which is about 10 feet away and comes out of the soil (no rocks). The only things near it are my faucet and a backwash pipe that comes up and then back down from the ground. When I backwash I can hear water moving through the backwash pipe that why I call it that. Its just odd its not near my pump. I'll see if I can get more pics tonight. Thanks everyone!

Is the faucet in the pool plumbing? If so, this might be a drain line for water coming out of the faucet. It looks like the end is threaded and a hose with two female ends might attach to the faucet and this line. It is definitely not a backwash drain as it is not large enough for that volume of water, but it could handle water out of a faucet.

I would dig down the line and see if it is running away from the pool to make sure it is not going to do something to your pool.

Thats what I thought too and bought a female/female adapter for the hose but it didn't fit. I'll try digging to see if that helps figure out where its going. I even tracked down the old homeowner and asked if he had any idea what that was for and he said he had the same questions and never figured it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.