Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cleaner attachment on side of pool near skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

cleaner attachment on side of pool near skimmer

I just purchased a new home and wanted to attach my pool cleaning robot to the suction port on the side of the pool. Low and behold no suction! I tried all the valves, even had a pool tec. stop by. He said it was probably capped off somewhere. Does anyone know how I can find the end of the piping so I can attach it to the suction side of the pump?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cleaner attachment on side of pool near skimmer

Often ports are plumbed during the build to allow a cleaner to be added. I'd look near the equipment pad for a capped pipe coming out of the ground.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

OH, I found out where mine was when they filled my pool up. I had a compartment below my pool house for a pump house for my pond and they ran all the plumbing in that area. They forgot to cap our port and guess what - when it got to the return in the pool, it flooded the entire compartment when the pump was running for the pond. It was underwater by about 2 feet. Never got a good resolve on that one. Mine was plumbed up to where all the other pipes come up into the pool house as JohnT suggested.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I tried sticking my garden hose in the opening and turning it on to see if water would exit somewhere... no success. I'm sure the line is capped.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by barkley
    I tried sticking my garden hose in the opening and turning it on to see if water would exit somewhere... no success. I'm sure the line is capped.
    Any unexplained valves on your suction lines?

Otherwise, I'd expect it to be within a few feet of where your other plumbing comes out of the ground. They wouldn't dig an extra trench if they didn't have to.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat