Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pentaire two speed noise on HIGH

1. Back To Top    #1

pentaire two speed noise on HIGH

I have a new pool and the two speed pump is very loud in the high speed mode. Much louder than the single speed booster pump. Several people have mentioned the pump noise. I've called my builder and they've contacted Pentaire. Supposedly the Pentaire warranty person is coming by to look at the pump. The pump is very quiet in low speed mode. This is a whisperflow 2 speed 1 hp pump.

How loud is too loud?

What should I expect from them? I'm not expecting the company rep to swap out the pump, tell the builder to do that.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: pentaire two speed noise on HIGH

It is difficult to talk about noise levels in text. A 1 HP pump running at high speed can be too loud to talk over easily when you are standing right next to it, but it shouldn't be as loud as say a leaf blower at the same distance, where even yelling is difficult to do over the sound.

The volume level is partly the pump and partly the way it was installed. Putting a rubber mat under the pump helps, as does using flexible pipe (which doesn't transmit the vibration as well as rigid). Bushes or sheds also help contain the sound.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: pentaire two speed noise on HIGH

thx for the info. The pumps are installed in our side entry, on concrete, not far from the pool. I am remounting a gate which cut down some of the noise. I'm hoping it is defective and a replacement will be quieter.