Pool Pump won't stay running.

May 3, 2012
Today I installed a Hayward 1hp. pump for my waterfall. everything went fine until I tell I turned it on, it pumped the water fine but shut off after only maybe a meniteer. I think it should work for that kind of money.
. I shut off the switch and waited for 5 or 10 min. then turned it back on. The same thing happened again. It just won't stay running. I paid 700.00 for the pump and filt.
thank you
Dan Wheeler

Not enough information. Is the pump hot while running? How is it shutting off, at the pump or is a circuit breaker tripping. Does sound like it's getting hot.

If it's getting hot you'll have to figure out why and this could be related to the plumbing or wiring although I doubt plumbing would make a pump hot and shut off whithin a minute. Are you sure it's wired correctly? If you have a dual voltage pump and wired it for 120 to a 240 line I'm not sure the pump would even run a minute. I've never done it and wouldn't want to. You also could call Hayward since they are good to talk with.

Welcome to TFP!

Wiring the pump for the wrong voltage is the most likely possibility. Most pumps can be setup for either 120 volts or 240 volts. If you have it setup for the wrong voltage it would overheat and the thermal shutoff would turn it off (without tripping the breaker). It is also possible that the pump is defective, but that seems less likely.

My pump shuts down at the motor and does not trip the breaker. It does seem to be a little hot, if it is wired for 220 would it even run? I will check that possably today I am calling Lesle's pool supply and see what they say. Being it is new the wireing makes more sense than any thing else. I have 2' pipe from the pond to the pump then it goes to 1 1/2' into the pump and filter then back to 2" going out to the pond. The pump is about 6 to 8' feet above the pond also.

I think I have found the proablem. The wireing at the box is 220 and the pump is 110 although I hav"nt tried it yet I think that is my problem. I have to wait tell the guy fixes the wire then I will go and set up the pump. It has a internal circit that shuts the motor down,so it is proably ok. I will let you know the out come. Thanks this site lead me right to the answer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.