Fiberglass Pool Quote

Electron Mover

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2012
Prince George, VA
Have almost made a decision to go for it. This is the quote from our favorite builder:
The pool will be a in ground fiberglass: 37' 9" L X 14' 1" W, depth 3' 10" - 6" 6"=20K gallons
Clean crushed stone back fill
PUMP: Jandy FHPM 1.0-2SPD
FILTER: Jandy CS 150sq ft
3 Returns-looped off of 2" rigid PVC
1 Skimmer straight run of 2" rigid PVC
2 Main drains straight run of 2" rigid PVC
SWCG: Zodiac APURE35
3 Zodiac LED lights
1 handrail
Cantilievered coping
5' brushed concrete around deep end and 1 side
10' brushed concrete around shallow end and 1 side
4' aluminum fence with 2 gates one foot off of decking all around the pool

Any thing that I should upgrade, downgrade, leave out or have not thought of?
Thanks for all your help!!
Bill

Not knowing what your sun/shade situation is, you might build your own umbrella holders and have them put in when the concrete guys come. We did this and it was easy to build. We got the idea off this website. You can check out what I am referring to under my Central Texas Fiberglass Pool build thread.

Perhaps consider one more return? I don't know what's standard, but mine initially had 3 (1 near the deep end, two near the shallow end), but there seemed to be a pretty distinct "dead spot" in that long span between the deep end return and the first shallow end return, so I had them add one more.

--Michael

I'm no fan of handrails or SWCG's :|

I don't see specs for a pool cleaner...can't imagine pool life without my Polaris 280!

You'll notice I run a really big cartridge filter....cleaning it once a season is a plus.

Also, I don't think that's quite 20K gallons either.

I would ditch the handrails unless you really need them.

Get waterline tile, I really wish I did.

Try to get arch topped gates if the top of the fence panels are flat. It will give a much nicer apperance, and makes the gates easier to find.

We had to have the handrail installed due to code in our area. Builder said we could take it off, but he had to place it in. Of course, once we take it out we will have holes in our concrete. I guess we will just be leaving it there.

I second the waterline tile. Really adds to the pool.

I would also consider anything you might want to add later on. For example, we had our new pool's equipment pad poured large enough for us to add a heater or heat pump if we decide we want to extend the swim season (or cool the pool in our hot Tulsa summers!).

Also, you might want to think about what kind of automation, if any, you might want. Would you like he convenience of programming your system to run the pump at low speed for 18 hours a day, and have it automatically switch to high speed for a given period of time? Would you like to control everything from a wireless remote or iPhone? Or will you be OK with switching the pump speed manually and turning the lights on/off at the equipment pad? (I'm not saying you should get these features....just pointing out they're available so you're aware).

TK13LG--- Pictures of our pool are Here

After reviewing the pictures of our pool, I realized I need to post some new ones, as there have been a couple of things changed since then. The pictures don't show the fence around the pool, and the Easytouch was added since then.

As far as the Easytouch is concerned, I would have to say it's worth it, as everything can be controlled from one panel. I wanted the ability to control things from my iPhone/iPad, and the Easytouch gives me this option. I opted to go with the Easytouch 8 w/Intellichlor IC40, in order to allow for the maximum amount of future additions, and to have a SWG cell that is oversized enough to (hopefully) offer longer life between cell replacements.

I'm still working thru some issues getting the Intellichlor to generate the proper amount of chlorine as set on the ET8 panel, and Pentair support's been great in helping me figure out what's going on. (Despite the ET8 panel being set to, say, 5%, the Intellichlor seems to be operating at 20%, and we're trying to figure out why this is happening and how to correct it.)

Feel free to pm if you'd like additional details.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.