Need Advice...In-ground Pool Skimmer Replacement

Feb 17, 2012
Tempe, AZ
I am renovating my 30+ something year-old pool, partly by myself, and the rest by a pool builder. I am trying to do as much as I can, but of course we all have our limits, and I think I am nearing my own.

I scoured this site and others, but I have come up empty for a definitive guide in replacing a skimmer in an in-ground pool. Even the supplied instructions with a brand new skimmer has very little to offer regarding the preparation of the pool wall. Any information would be helpful, and I am sure others in the future might benefit from this thread.

As you can see below, I cleared away the original skimmer and its concrete encasement. I rented a jackhammer from Home Depot to bust up the bulk of the concrete. I used a small Bosch 11320VS chipping hammer to finish (by the way, a great tool for around the house.)
[attachment=2:tti43oxb]Skimmer8.jpg[/attachment:tti43oxb]

I purchased a U-3 skimmer, and from the supplied instructions and other sources (including instructions from other brands), I need to provide about 4” of concrete around the skimmer body. My biggest question right now is: Does the 4" fresh concrete specification extend to the area around the skimmer throat too?

Here’s two pictures of the new skimmer sitting in its place just for conversational purposes (i.e. its not level, etc.)
[attachment=1:tti43oxb]Skimmer1.jpg[/attachment:tti43oxb][attachment=0:tti43oxb]Skimmer6.jpg[/attachment:tti43oxb]

Attachments

• Skimmer8.jpg
    Skimmer8.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 356
  • Skimmer1.jpg
    Skimmer1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 346
  • Skimmer6.jpg
    Skimmer6.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 344
You may want to chip out a little more concrete on the right hand side and then use some bonding agent on the existing concrete before pouring the new stuff. I wouldn't worry about trying to chip 4" out. Just get enough that you can get some concrete in around the throat.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I plan to score the concrete tomorrow with an angle grinder, then using the chipping hammer, I'll get the rest. This is a real pain, no wonder contractors get $1200 a skimmer! The left corner broke off while chipping-out the old skimmer, that's why it's not sqare like the right side. I hope by scoring the concrete with the angle grinder, I can end up with a clean cut versus a jaggered/angular cut with the chipping hammer alone. At least I'll give it a try!

I cut and chiseled out a bit more concrete around the skimmer. Question - since I plan to have the pool coated with Shotcrete (2" brown coat?), would it make any sense to open this up more? Second question, would you have the shotcrete contractor do the concrete fill around the skimmer?

Here's what I did...
[attachment=2:3ilnp85o]IMG_0003.jpg[/attachment:3ilnp85o]
[attachment=1:3ilnp85o]IMG_0004.jpg[/attachment:3ilnp85o]
[attachment=0:3ilnp85o]IMG_0005.jpg[/attachment:3ilnp85o]

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 280
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.