Hayward/Goldline Pro Logic (PL-PS-8)

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
Question:

I have my Pro Logic set to pump on low speed (dual speed Hayward) from 5am-5pm as part of my tweeking my SWG system (FC to high). We are expecting good weather Thurs-Saturday, so kicked on gas heater, controled via Pro Logic. The heater setting is set to call for high speed pump. I would have assumed that would take priority over the off from 5pm-5am, forcing it on high when heat is called for. Guess not as I came home at 6pm, all was off. I guess the delima is that when the pump is in the off state, there is no measurement of the water due to no flow. What is the fix to this other than pump on 24x7 during heat season? I feel as if I am getting into a catch 22 here. Pump on all time = to much FC. Pump off 1/2 time, not reading of water temp, thus not heatability.

Experts - need help!

Thanks,

Ted

If you actually need the heater heating for more than 12 hours a day, then you do need to program the pump to run more then 12 hours a day. Generally the heater can catch up after a couple of hours and 12 hours of heating time is more than enough. When that isn't true, the only option is more run time.

Being that I may get one of these systems, trying to understand ... is this what happens:

The system comes on at 5AM and calls for heat. In the next 12 hours the heater runs if required to reach water temp. {If the water temp at 5PM is still < set temp, isn't there an option to continue running if there is a call for heat ... I know there is for solar} At 5PM if the water is at temp {or when water reaches temp after 5PM}, the heater turns off and the pump shuts down. At this point you are saying that nothing is sensing the water temp, so overnight the water cools, but the system will not automatically come back on to heat.

At 5AM the next morning, the system turns on and calls for heat if needed ... rinse and repeat.

It would continue to run past 5pm due to flow still allowing water temp to be sensed. Upon shutoff of heater beyond 5pm, all is of until pump returns to low at 5am. If needed, heat would then force pump to high then heat during day cycle. Repeat.

This and the Autopilot post (which now appears to be gone) are certainly showing some weaknesses in these systems.

That said, do you really need the water warm at 5AM? :mrgreen: I would think it would warm back up by the time it was a reasonable hour for swimming.

Although I guess the water could be cooling off before 7-8PM when you might be swimming.

HA.... nah, 47 year olds don't party that long anymore. It is really just an annoying limitation that makes no sense. Code is cheap and all that is needed appears to be there. If I new for sure if I got the Aquaconnect that using my PC I could actually program with logic/macro's, I would invest the $300. But something tells me similar weakness.

The idea is that the the heater can do all the heating required for a 24 hour period while the pump is running on it's set schedule. In the great majority of situations that is true. They consider keeping the pump off during the pump off time more important than maintaing temperature during that time. Many people agree with them. I wouldn't want a noisy pump coming on in the middle of the night right outside my bedroom. Of course that doesn't cover every possible situation and many other people would prefer it work another way.

There certainly could be an option to behave differently, but there isn't. It isn't a sensor issue, the pump could simply be turned on for 5 minutes to get a reliable water temperature reading if you set the (mythical) prioritize keeping the water warm setting.

One way to look at this is that pool automation system manufacturers move quite a bit more slowly than the high tech industry does. Automation systems do not yet have touch screens and do not yet the user interface simplicity and flexibility that most of us have become familiar with on smart phones. I don't doubt that they will in a couple of years, but it hasn't happened yet.

[[jblizzle, the issue in the other topic was very different. That post was asking for things which are impossible with current technology. This post is asking for something which is completely possible (though I suspect it would not be preferred by the majority of users).]]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.