Pool care while on vacation ?

Jimk

May 17, 2010
What arrangements do people make for pool care when they go on vacation ?

I am hoping to start maintaining my pool myself this year but I just realized I will be gone for a couple of weeks in the summer and I am not sure what to do. I'm sure our friends will be using the pool while we are gone, but can I'm not sure if I can trust them to take good care of the water. Will I be able to get away with them just lobbing in some chlorine a couple of times while I am gone ? Should I get a pool company to stop by ?

I've got an SWG. I go on vacation and when I come back it looks the same. The only thing I do is put the thermal cover on. So far it's worked. You always worry though. I do have an outside camera looking at the pool so I can keep an eye on it. I usually need to get about 16 oz. of muriatic acid in each week, so I would normally instruct the kids who take care of the dogs to put it in a measuring cup and put a cup in once every week.

As long as your CYA is low, you can put pucks in your strainer baskets. They last about 3-4 days.

I turn to pucks on my summer vacation. I run my CYA somewhat low to allow for my 2-week vacation. I have a Rainbow 320 that takes care of the first week. I ask a friend to drop by at the end of the first week and check the water level and throw in a pre-loaded floater with more pucks for the second week. If I ever went for three weeks, I'd just buy another floater. I don't cover and I have never had a problem.

Durk said:
I turn to pucks on my summer vacation. I run my CYA somewhat low to allow for my 2-week vacation. I have a Rainbow 320 that takes care of the first week.

Same here.

When somebody comes to swim, I have them check the chlorine level and have a chart showing how much bleach to add depending on what they read. Before I had a timer, I had my son-in-law drop by on his way home from work to turn the pump on/off on alternating days.

Jimk said:
I'm sure our friends will be using the pool while we are gone, but can I'm not sure if I can trust them to take good care of the water. Will I be able to get away with them just lobbing in some chlorine a couple of times while I am gone ?

If you are nice enough to let them use your pool while you are gone, the least they can do if do the basic pH and FC tests and add a little bleach / acid as required.

Tell them if you come back to a problem, they are no longer welcome to the pool while you are gone :mrgreen:

jblizzle said:
If you are nice enough to let them use your pool while you are gone, the least they can do if do the basic pH and FC tests and add a little bleach / acid as required.

Tell them if you come back to a problem, they are no longer welcome to the pool while you are gone :mrgreen:

Fair point ! :)

But does nobody worry about brushing and vacuuming the pool for a couple of weeks ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.