Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool care while on vacation ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool care while on vacation ?

What arrangements do people make for pool care when they go on vacation ?

I am hoping to start maintaining my pool myself this year but I just realized I will be gone for a couple of weeks in the summer and I am not sure what to do. I'm sure our friends will be using the pool while we are gone, but can I'm not sure if I can trust them to take good care of the water. Will I be able to get away with them just lobbing in some chlorine a couple of times while I am gone ? Should I get a pool company to stop by ?
    15,000 gallons, IG, Plaster, Pentair 2000 DE Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool care while on vacation ?

I've got an SWG. I go on vacation and when I come back it looks the same. The only thing I do is put the thermal cover on. So far it's worked. You always worry though. I do have an outside camera looking at the pool so I can keep an eye on it. I usually need to get about 16 oz. of muriatic acid in each week, so I would normally instruct the kids who take care of the dogs to put it in a measuring cup and put a cup in once every week.

As long as your CYA is low, you can put pucks in your strainer baskets. They last about 3-4 days.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I turn to pucks on my summer vacation. I run my CYA somewhat low to allow for my 2-week vacation. I have a Rainbow 320 that takes care of the first week. I ask a friend to drop by at the end of the first week and check the water level and throw in a pre-loaded floater with more pucks for the second week. If I ever went for three weeks, I'd just buy another floater. I don't cover and I have never had a problem.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Durk
    I turn to pucks on my summer vacation. I run my CYA somewhat low to allow for my 2-week vacation. I have a Rainbow 320 that takes care of the first week.
    Same here.

When somebody comes to swim, I have them check the chlorine level and have a chart showing how much bleach to add depending on what they read. Before I had a timer, I had my son-in-law drop by on his way home from work to turn the pump on/off on alternating days.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jimk
    I'm sure our friends will be using the pool while we are gone, but can I'm not sure if I can trust them to take good care of the water. Will I be able to get away with them just lobbing in some chlorine a couple of times while I am gone ?
    If you are nice enough to let them use your pool while you are gone, the least they can do if do the basic pH and FC tests and add a little bleach / acid as required.

Tell them if you come back to a problem, they are no longer welcome to the pool while you are gone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    If you are nice enough to let them use your pool while you are gone, the least they can do if do the basic pH and FC tests and add a little bleach / acid as required.

Tell them if you come back to a problem, they are no longer welcome to the pool while you are gone
    Fair point !

But does nobody worry about brushing and vacuuming the pool for a couple of weeks ?
    15,000 gallons, IG, Plaster, Pentair 2000 DE Filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

The important thing is to keep adequate FC in the pool and the pH in range. A little dirt and leaves will not hurt anything if the FC is kept up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!