Damaged Spa (Photos): Recommended Course Of Action For Fix?

May 2, 2012
Hi All, I've been reading up quite a bit on this forum and I must say this is a very informative forum with great info on a wide variety of topics with regards to pool and spa.

I recently hired someone to replace tiles in my in-ground pool and I've noticed the situation below after the removal of the jacuzzi tiles. Does anyone have experience with this type of damage as to why and how it happened? any recommendation on how to go about repairing it? I appreciate any input and advise you may give. Thanks!

8a9b464e.jpg

b4a0fe80.jpg

cdbfcded.jpg

e56ed49e.jpg

ec25c1a9.jpg

a2123cab.jpg

Re: Damaged Spa (Photos): Recommended Course Of Action For F

Something does not add up. You said you noticed the problem when the tiles were removed, but the last 2 pictures clearly show the gaping hole in the spa wall.

Where did all the concrete go because it does not look like things settled and split apart?

Looks like an old Dry process Shotcrete pool - you will need to set up a complete repair plan , It can be repaired but proper prep is key
please take more pictures of the area - also looks like bond beam has some areas of concern
Chris
http://www.shotcrete.us

Sorry if I didn't explain it well. The contractor I hired removed the tiles in my absence and he possibly removed that chunk of loose concrete in the process.

Concreteman: Thanks for your input. Are the disconnected areas of the bond beam concern you the most? My contractor mentioned the method of using both epoxy and concrete to fill in the voids along with tying some rebars where he can to the existing ones. How reliable would this repair method be? Are there another better repair options?

Thanks for all of the input so far!

It looks like that whole crescent-shaped slab is loose, and the break extends past the plaster in the first picture. He must have removed a bunch of loose concrete, and it looks like he ground it out pretty nicely. I don't see why his suggested repair wouldn't work. Please keep the pictures coming!

Thank you all for your input and comments! Hopefully the upcoming repair can take care of this leak permanently without lingering issues.

The first picture looks like there is problems on the left of the spa wall also - the beam in the spa looks like a possible concern
looking close it's a Gunite ( dry process pool - which is fine ) you would need to sound the areas in question and take out any hollows or rebound
all edges should be cut to a 1'' depth for the repair - epoxy set rebar in areas with concern - if you use a patching material read instructions - most repair motar will need to have aggergate added to the mix in deep repair section's - the repair is all in the prep - which means getting done to good material - think of going to the dentist with a cavity - needs to be clean and free of decay
More pictures would be help full
Chris
www.shotcrete.us

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.