Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: whats the pantyhose trick?

1. Back To Top    #1

whats the pantyhose trick?

I was reading one of the sticky's and was trying to figure out what the pantyhose trick was on the skimmer? Do I just pull the p.hose around the square part that attaches to my pool wall?

Oh and Im new to pools and have an AG. I have a sand filter. I backwashed the stinky thing out and seems to filter ok. The pressure gage doesnt move or anything tho. How do I know if theres sand in there, enough of it? I just purchased the house with the ugly green swamp and got most of the leave out by scooping.
    AG Round Bestway EZ set 15' x 42"--3284 Gallons--Jaccuzi Lasor Sand Filter Model 160L, 16" diameter --- Pump Pentair Aquatools PMP 1HP
    P/N: AT2408610

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: whats the pantyhose trick?

You put the pantyhose (knee highs) in your skimmer basket and around the the top of the basket to catch finer particles.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I am pretty sure people put them on the skimmer basket. They work just like a skimmer sock, but are cheaper
    EDIT: Jason beat me to it!

Normally your pressure should change (at least a little) after backwashing. If it is not moving at all..is it stuck at 0? Or at a different number? It is not uncommon for pool owners to replace the pressure gauge every season or two.

4. Back To Top    #4

Its not stuck on 0. But it doesnt move if I turn the pump on or off. There looks like there was a glass or plastice cover thing over the face but its missing so I can just move the meter to what ever I want it on :P
    AG Round Bestway EZ set 15' x 42"--3284 Gallons--Jaccuzi Lasor Sand Filter Model 160L, 16" diameter --- Pump Pentair Aquatools PMP 1HP

5. Back To Top    #5

If it does not go to zero when the pump is off, then you need to replace the gauge ... should be < $10
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jademoon
    Its not stuck on 0. But it doesnt move if I turn the pump on or off. There looks like there was a glass or plastice cover thing over the face but its missing so I can just move the meter to what ever I want it on :P
    Sounds to me like its time for a new pressure gauge!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah I kinda figured that but how do I know about the sand level and if I need to add more. When I backwashed it was really smelly

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jademoon
    Yeah I kinda figured that but how do I know about the sand level and if I need to add more. When I backwashed it was really smelly
    The smell is due to the fact that you are cleaning a 'swamp.' Can you give us a little more info about your filter? Brand and model? Does your filter consist of two pieces (top part is clamped on and can be removed)? Pictures welcome

9. Back To Top    #9

You will have to take your filter apart to check the sand level inside. It's not supposed to be more than around 3/4 full. Some of them have lines inside to indicate how far to fill it up, others do not. I wouldn't recommend replacing the sand until your water is cleared if you are battling a swamp. It's smelly from sitting so long without being used, and the condition of your water. Have you started the shock process yet?
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

10. Back To Top    #10

No I haven't started the shock treatments as of yet still working on getting all the leaves and pollen things out. Just tested and repaired the pump it had a crack so repaired that. Just went ahead and backwashed just because I was told to do so by a friend. I'll work on some pics tonight. Thanks for all the help so far

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to tfp, jademoon

You number one tool for ridding your pool of organisms will be a good test kit. See the link in my sig. for details. Everything that is taught on here about pool chemistry starts with accurate and thorough testing.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome to TFP.

Just a couple of observations. You've gotten some good advice so I'll just add.
    1) You're doing the right thing by getting as much debris out as you can before you start the shock process.
    2) Don't worry about checking or changing the sand right now.
    3) Do change the pressure gauge. I'd suggest a 0-30 psi model. Most big box stores as well as Pool Stores will have them.
    4) You really should seriously consider getting a good test kit prior to beginning the shock process. Since you'll be shocking, I suggest the TF-100 with the XL option and a Speedstir. It seems like a lot but it's totally worth it in the long run. The Speedstir is optional but you'll love it if you decide to get one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit