New pool..home... and couple questions

diesel

May 2, 2012
Good morning,

My wife and I purchased a new (to us) home and it has a pool. I contacted Paddock (the pool builder) and recieved the following information:

1. 12,000 gallon in ground pool
2. PCC 2000 in floor cleaning system
3. Carrbean Blue Pebbletec finish.
4. built in 2000

So, I have taken the water 2 times to Leslie's Pool supply and they said the chemical balance is fine.

The pool is a little cloudy, so I bought a pool first aid, and it helped a little. We have several small palm trees around the pool and a tan home. It is appearing green in color. I can see the bottom. I bought a vacuum hose and have done that several times.

I contacted PCC and think I have that figured out (somewhat) We have the following set up. A single pump, ONE drain, (no heads are "up all the time"). When the in floor cleaner (6 module system) is running, I set the intake 90% from the drain and 10% from the skimmer. it seems to work ok.

I need to get the balls that go on the wall. Are those specific to that system? There are six of them.
I need to get the bag that goes in the deck canister.

My main concern is the greenish color. Is this normal due to the trees and the pebbletec color? how much chlorine should I keep in the pool? At my old place it was a plaster pool and we just used to put a couple tabs in the floating skimmer, is there a better way?

Any thoughts or advise would be great.

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Well you ask a few seemingly easy questions, but they are difficult to answer without more information.

I had an in-floor cleaning system and have no idea what the balls on the wall or the bag in the deck canister are.

Green could be due to metals, but more likely the start of algae and following the shock process describe in Pool School will be needed.

You should start reading Pool School at the upper right of each page.

Start with ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and How to Chlorinate Your Pool

The first thing I hope you will learn is the relationship between FC (free chlorine) and CYA (stabilizer). The tablets add CYA to the pool that never goes away with draining water ... eventually the CYA level gets too high for the amount of FC the pucks add. Liquid chlorine / bleach avoids this problem as it only adds FC.

There is no way to tell you how much FC you need in your pool without knowing your CYA level ... this is very important. See Chlorine CYA Chart.

The pool store tests just can not be trusted as has been proven on this forum many times. You would be best served by getting your own good test kit. See the link in my signature for the recommended kits. Ordering one of these should be your first priority.

With some reading and learning in Pool School you will be able to maintain clear pool while saving yourself money. We believe in accurate testing and only adding what your pool NEEDS and not what the pool store wants to sell you.

diesel said:
I have a test kit from the pool store.

"Does it include the FAS-DPD chlorine test", he asks with doubt in his voice.

If not ... you need to add it to your kit or get a different one.
Which test kit do you have? Does it test for pH, TA, CH, CYA, FC (at levels >5ppm), CC?

I write all that and this is all I get back :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.