Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this tester junk or worth the $$ ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this tester junk or worth the $$ ?

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals ... ry-Tester/

I see that good test kits are ~$70.
    With the care I wish to take with my pool due to young children, I am wondering if this one time buy is the way to go.
    Looks like the only thing it does not check is CYA.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Is this tester junk or worth the $$ ?

There's a lot of discussion on digital testers on this forum and the consensus is they simply aren't worth the money. Often they are somewhat inaccurate to begin with, then they get worse and you have to pay for recalibration.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Those things aren't worth it. Based on what folks here have reported about similar products, they can't really measure FC (even though they say they can), and so all you're getting is a pH reading. TDS isn't useful, nor is ORP. Aside from CYA, it also doesn't measure TA, CH, or CC. Drop tests like the TF-100 are they only reliable way.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

No electronic meter with one point calibration is going to be all that good. You need at least two point calibration. There is also no chance that it's FC reading is going to be correct (other than luck). ORP sensors are delicate and tend to fail, and even when working converting from ORP to FC is problematic at best. It is also missing TA and CH.

The drop based tests, like the TF-100 and K-2006, are going to be more precise and repeatable than any affordable electronic tester. If you are dead set on getting an electronic tester, look at the ColorQ, but drop based tests really are the best way to go.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

As a noob to pool testing that just got my drop test kit 3 days ago, I can tell you that the Taylor kit (and I'm sure the TF-100) really is easy to use. As the pros will tell you, there is no need to test every component every day, but even if you did, it only takes about 5 minutes after you do it the first couple of times and get the hang of it. The bottles have color coded caps, so you know which chemical to use with each test. If all you are testing is FC and pH, you can do that in about 2 minutes and the results so far for me have been consistent and easy to read. I had alot of trouble reading the strips and even using a drop based kit from Walmart, but the Taylor one is easy to use.

I had considered trying to buy a digital reader myself, but now that I have the Taylor kit, I am glad I did not spend the extra money.
    13,500 gallon AGP. Sand Filter. Swimmax Electric Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks All!
    This confirms it, I will be ordering my TF100 today.
    18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.