Dogs in pool

My Yorkies love the pool! They franticly and sometimes uncontrollably swim towards the sides and I do have this concern.

However I learned with my pups, they don't necessarily like to "swim" they just want to be "in" the pool with us. So I just put a float (the kind that has a cloth mesh center so when they sit, they get cooling water effect.

They love it- of course every once in a while they jump off to come to me and make a beeline towards the nearest side- I stop them prior to reaching the liner. :D

I don't have a liner pool, but it took about 15 minutes (of guidance towards the correct spot) for my pooch to learn where to get out at. All my dog had been in prior to my home purchase were ponds where she could walk out anywhere she pleased.
A few short sessions and your dog should learn where to go for steps. Good luck.

I have an inground pool so do not have to worry about liners. But what we did is taught our dog how to get out of the pool. Took about 15-20 minutes to teach her and now she goes right to the stairs. When it is hot outside she will take a dip in the pool and right back out.

I also have an above-ground pool with steps... and a dog that just LOVES to be in the pool. The first day we let the dog in the pool it only took a few times of 'guiding' him to the stairs and it has never been a problem. My Mom is 'old school' and doesn't believe dogs should be in above-ground pools, but I am so glad we allow ours in... so much fun for him and for us! I have to admit I had my doubts, but when I came here, I saw that so many people allowed their pets in the above-ground pools. Good luck!

We have three Siberian Huskies and trained them to walk down the steps and then we went in the pool with them and guided them back to the steps when they wanted to get out. After a few times they learned and have never tried to go near the other edges.

We allow our dogs in the pool. They are mini schnauzers and don't shed so that's the only reason. Our black lab is not allowed in because he sheds too much and that much fur in the pool is just plain nasty. :pukel:
We have stairs and after a few nudges in the right direction they know to head in that direction to get out. They really don't care to swim tho as they'd rather be held or on a floatie with us :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.