Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dogs in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Dogs in pool

Those of you that let the dog(s) swim in the pool, how do you keep them from tearing the liner all to pieces with their claws? We have a new puppy this year and she seems to show interest in the pool before we even have it open.
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Dogs in pool

My dog is in the pool 365 days. She just never makes an attempt to dig in to the sides....she swims to the steps and walks out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My Yorkies love the pool! They franticly and sometimes uncontrollably swim towards the sides and I do have this concern.

However I learned with my pups, they don't necessarily like to "swim" they just want to be "in" the pool with us. So I just put a float (the kind that has a cloth mesh center so when they sit, they get cooling water effect.

They love it- of course every once in a while they jump off to come to me and make a beeline towards the nearest side- I stop them prior to reaching the liner.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't have a liner pool, but it took about 15 minutes (of guidance towards the correct spot) for my pooch to learn where to get out at. All my dog had been in prior to my home purchase were ponds where she could walk out anywhere she pleased.
    A few short sessions and your dog should learn where to go for steps. Good luck.
    12500 gal plaster IGP
    1hp 230v whisperflo dos speed
    Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I have an inground pool so do not have to worry about liners. But what we did is taught our dog how to get out of the pool. Took about 15-20 minutes to teach her and now she goes right to the stairs. When it is hot outside she will take a dip in the pool and right back out.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, like other's have said, teach the dog where the stairs are, clawing at the side wall is an act of desperation

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I also have an above-ground pool with steps... and a dog that just LOVES to be in the pool. The first day we let the dog in the pool it only took a few times of 'guiding' him to the stairs and it has never been a problem. My Mom is 'old school' and doesn't believe dogs should be in above-ground pools, but I am so glad we allow ours in... so much fun for him and for us! I have to admit I had my doubts, but when I came here, I saw that so many people allowed their pets in the above-ground pools. Good luck!
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

We have three Siberian Huskies and trained them to walk down the steps and then we went in the pool with them and guided them back to the steps when they wanted to get out. After a few times they learned and have never tried to go near the other edges.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

9. Back To Top    #9

We allow our dogs in the pool. They are mini schnauzers and don't shed so that's the only reason. Our black lab is not allowed in because he sheds too much and that much fur in the pool is just plain nasty.
    We have stairs and after a few nudges in the right direction they know to head in that direction to get out. They really don't care to swim tho as they'd rather be held or on a floatie with us

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -