Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lowering ph

1. Back To Top    #1

lowering ph

my ph is at 7.8 but i have calcium scaling. I want to lower to 7.2, I see that i can add acid to to that , but I'm reading that I have to bypass by heater when adding acid. I can't bypass heater the way it is set up, are there any other solutions?
    32000 gal , gunite pool, de filter weber gensis and tiki bar

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: lowering ph

You don't need to bypass the heater as long as you aren't lowering the pH below 7 (or adding it to the skimmer, which is a bad idea). Go for it!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

What MITS said, and here is a "How to add MA from Pool School" blurb:

You should always wear eye protection when handling muriatic acid. You do not want to breathe muriatic acid fumes. If you spill any on your clothes it will cause damage. Muriatic acid may sting a bit if you get it on your skin, but won't normally cause any serious harm as long as you rinse it off right away.

Muriatic acid should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding muriatic acid.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

New Jersey

Add to the above the obvious: Stay on the upwind side of the open bottle at all time...including before and after pouring. Don't turn around to get the cap or put it on.

I honestly don't know how Pool School could leave this out.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I generally scoop up a bucket full of pool water (plastic bucket), add my acid to that, then pour that diluted mixture in front of a return. By the time it hits the skimmer or drain, it's well mixed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks for the help . I have scaling like you said, but not as bad as pictures I first posted in algae section. I lowered ph and i'm brushing with steel brush looks like it will be a while but looks a lot better then when I started. my question is do I brush as much as possible everyday or do I wait for a chemical reaction to happen by lowering the ph and maybe brush every other day.
    32000 gal , gunite pool, de filter weber gensis and tiki bar

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

By brushing, you sorta' "knock off" the outermost layer of the scale that has been exposed to the lower pH. The scale underneath is then exposed and it, in turn, gets weakened and will come off and/or dissolve back into the water. Brushing everyday would probably be best but you don't want to be a slave to the pool, either. I think I would brush 2-3 times weekly as a nice compromise.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School