1. Back To Top    #1

First pool test, what's next?

I just did my first water test this evening. My results were:
    FC: 0
    PH: 6.8
    TA: 70
    CH: 100
    CYA: 80

The pool calculator recommends 108oz of bleach, 56oz of washing soda, 92oz of baking soda, 308oz of calcium chloride, and to remove 50% of the water. That is using the default target levels. I'm really not sure what I should put for the target levels. I know it needs chlorine and I'm thinking I need to shock it. I really don't want to drain any water and would rather let the CYA drop once the kids get in and start splashing water out. Should I go ahead and shock the pool now? Any suggestions on what to use for target levels in pool calculator?
    15' x 30' x 52" Oval AGP; 1hp Hayward Powerflo LX Pump; Hayward Sand Filter; 4 2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels; Compupool CPSC36 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First pool test, what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by sturge33
    I'm really not sure what I should put for the target levels.
    On poolcalculator scroll down to the "suggested goal levels" and select troublefreepool.com, swg, and vinyl. You will now have suggestions in each chemical section.

Quote Originally Posted by sturge33
    know it needs chlorine and I'm thinking I need to shock it.
    What does you water look like?

I would add chlorine to get to 3 ppm (75 oz of 6% bleach for your 12000 gallon pool).
    I would add borax (it does not raise TA much) to raise ph up to 7.5 (99 oz by volume)
    I would not move TA or CH, they look great.

Do not use any more stabilzer (or trichlor or dichlor), your cya level is perfect for a swg.

Look at this link for recommended levels: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...mmended_levels
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Go back to the pool calculator and tell it you're using a SWG, and that the surface is vinyl. It will give you target levels. 80 is high on CYA, but manageable, unless you need to shock, For sure you'll need to adjust pH and FC

As for shocking, that depends: is the water clear? Is there algae growing anywhere? Is the SWG on, even though you show no FC?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

The water is blue but really cloudy. I don't see any signs of algae but I can't see the bottom. I've been brushing it the last few days and no algae is coming to the top, only a few leaves.

I don't have the SWG running yet. I just got it but hope to install it by the weekend at the latest. I did go ahead and add part of the salt so it would be dissolved when I get the SWG hooked up.
    15' x 30' x 52" Oval AGP; 1hp Hayward Powerflo LX Pump; Hayward Sand Filter; 4 2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels; Compupool CPSC36 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like you need to do the shocking process. See this link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.