Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where do you mount your bug zapper?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where do you mount your bug zapper?

I got a 1 acre Flowtron Bug Zapper for Christmas and was just getting it out for the season and was wondering where everyone else mounts or hangs theirs? The manual says to keep it away from decks and pools, unfortunately, I had a great spot setup for it on my deck, away from the pool. Where do you all hang your zappers?
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where do you mount your bug zapper?

We have done the zapper in the past, done the citronella etc... but still get bitten. Those mosquitoes always go after the person producing the most carbon dioxide. A friend of mine told me about a company that sprays an extract around your house that lasts 21 days. I believe it is chrysanthemum based. Non toxic to pets and kids. We have tried it and had 2 applications in the last 5 weeks. I am usually the one that gets bitten. Not a bite yet and we have been eating outside at night for the last 2 weeks. Amazing that the no see ums or mosquitoes don't bother me under the table. The website is bugsbite.com
    We ended up signing up for the whole summer package.
    24K gal ( pool,spa,basin)
    Pentair Sand Filter, IG Plaster/ Inifinity Edge - Diamond Brite Onyx
    (2) Sta-Rite 2HP, Pentair 400K BTU heater
    Jandy Aquapure SWG w/ AquaLink, Tiger Shark Robot

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Does anyone use the propane powered units. They have a small pilot light to produce CO2 To draw them and a fan that sucks in the bugs. They are supposed to clear a half acre.

I have no use for one now that I live in a place where you can hear a young child say "Mommy, what's a mosquito?". But when I lived in MA I had one of those and two zappers and still got bit. I guess because I had an acre with wetland near by.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I swear by THERMACELL's odorless and work great. The mosquitos here in GA are big, bad and nasty, lol.....its the only thing I have found to that works especially if you have pets or animals and you dont want your ground treated with sprays.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Our bugs are not real bad here at night. I mostly asked for it for Christmas as entertainment! I used to have one growing up and I thought it was relaxing. I just don't know the harm of mounting it on the deck.
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner