Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Boatmen bugs in my pool!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Boatmen bugs in my pool!!'s me again. Now that my pool is slowly beginning to clear up using the "Swamp to Oasis" method, there are now backswimmer bugs EVERYWHERE!!! What do I do? They get away from my net and...OMG...there are dozens of them! I've had a few here and there the past 2 summers, but this is just crazy!!! Kinda freaks me out. I ead that some of these critters even bite. Judging from my ankles after getting in the pool yesterday to fish something out, I believe they do bite...itchy!!! How do I get rid of these things?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    17000g AG Round, Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Boatmen bugs in my pool!!

Finish shocking and either they will die from the chlorine or will disappear when the food supply is gone.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

As long as your pool is properly sanitized, they should be a temporary nuisance.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

I've found 4 backswimmers so far in my pool this year.

Search the forum and you'll find plenty of discussion. In summary:
    • balance chemistry[/*:m:3oq5a0za]
    • minimize algae with chlorine & brushing[/*:m:3oq5a0za]
    • borates, copper from algaecide, or dish washing detergent may help[/*:m:3oq5a0za]
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

copper from algaecide,
    Regardless it's affect on bugs, Copper is not a good idea in any pool.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Definitely not doing the "algaecide" thing again. It royally messed things up last year. But all the other suggestions are great. They are already dying off somewhat today, and I have been able to scoop some out (when I can catch the quick critters). Trying to get rid of the algae bloom last year, I did the chemical cure, and it just made things worse. Never doing it again unless there is absolutely no other way.
    17000g AG Round, Sand Filter