Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rebar rusting through

1. Back To Top    #1

Rebar rusting through

We are just completing a pool re-plaster. The top coat has yet to be applied. One of the reasons we did the job, the rebar was rusting through.

What is the CORRECT way to fix this? Our guy didn't seem too concerned. We convinced him to cut away the plaster to the rebar, which he did, but merely put new over it. (I think)

Any comments? BEFORE they plaster and it is too late!
    24'x15' 4.5 deep (avg) 13000 gallon pebble bottom in ground playpool
    Cartridge filter with a hayward 2.5hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rebar rusting through

Are they not chipping out the old plaster? That's typically the way it's done, but if the existing stuff is not flaking/chipping you can put another coat over the top. Either way, it would be so easy for them to cut out the rust spots, I don't see why they wouldn't...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Are they not chipping out the old plaster? That's typically the way it's done, but if the existing stuff is not flaking/chipping you can put another coat over the top. Either way, it would be so easy for them to cut out the rust spots, I don't see why they wouldn't...
    yes, they chipped out the old. But I kinda thought they "fix" the rusted metal?

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, the metal will always be there and will always be wet. The only way the rust will show through is if the plaster isn't watertight, which your new plaster should be. Still, if you want them to, I think they should be willing to cut out the problem spots. If you have an angle grinder and diamond wheel you could probably just do it yourself.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Well, the metal will always be there and will always be wet. The only way the rust will show through is if the plaster isn't watertight, which your new plaster should be. Still, if you want them to, I think they should be willing to cut out the problem spots. If you have an angle grinder and diamond wheel you could probably just do it yourself.
    Thank you. I like your John Wooden quote.