DE vs. Fiber Clear

grizgoalie

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2012
Chesapeake VA
Hello,

I am asking for forum input on the age old discussion of DE vs Fiber Clear.

I bought a house that has a really nice pool set up. But poor maintenace, bad turn over and system age will make thing more diffiult but well worth it in the long run. I have replaced the old SWG with a new one and have not turned it on as there was nothing really done to the pool to winterize it. So it needs some special care offered by reading the articles here and asking questions. I hope to be trouble free and still as enthuzed after this initial start up.

So I started the DE filter so I could ensure it runs and it does. Pressure started at 19 and overnight went to 25. Time to backwash, clean and add DE. So when I do start the official "opening". I will have checked the parts and then I can make a dent into chemestry.

So back to the real question. Does anybody use or recommend Fiber Clear?

Thanks.

FiberClear is a brand name for a cellulose based DE substitute. Quite a number of people on the forum use the cellulose based product. The general consensus is that it is just as good for filtering. However there is some variation in opinions on relatively minor issues. For example, some find it slightly easier to backwash and others find it slightly more difficult to backwash.

Couple other notes I thought I read about this:

1. DE has the possible health implications if you breathe in the dust, while I do not think the cellulose has that worry
2. Cellulose is biodegradable so some people are more comfortable backwashing it onto their property

I have used DE, but when the box runs out, I may try the cellulose substitute.

THe big thing with DE is it is an inhalation hazard, I always wear a cheap dust filter mask when handling it, the other question is do you have a place where you can dispose of it, you don't want to just dump it on the ground in a place where kids and pets may roll around. In my case there is plenty of land around the pool and the backwash drain opens out onto a field about 250 feet from the pool.

Ike

I switched recently and can verify that it is filtering as well as DE did. Can't say anything about backwashing as I haven't done it yet, but it would have to be particularly bad for me to revert to DE. The advantages of cellulose are such that unless it sticks like glue to the grids, I'll never go back.

Good thread Richard; thanks.

Finished my first cleaning of a DE filter, only 2 hours and one tiny tiny leak. Note to self; put the short grid in between the space at the bottom.
Bad news is the grids have worn a few holes in them. They are as old as everything else it seems. So I might just keep the DE in this season and purchase a new grid next season and then go with an alternative.

The good fight continues. :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.