What effect does a screen enclosure have on chlorine use?

Mar 27, 2012
I have searched and searched on here but can't find much of anything useful.

My pool has a flat roofed screen enclosure, What effect does that have on chlorine use versus a pool with no screen? Or on any other chemicals in the water.
I'm just a curious feller...

Re: What effect does a screen enclosure have on chlorine use

With less direct sunlight on the pool, your FC will not be broken down by the sun. So, you may be able to get by with a lower CYA level and thus a lower FC level. Also, you will end up with less organics blowing into the pool, so the daily FC demand should be reduced. On the flip side, the sun usually helps to break down the bad CC, so without the sun, your FC will have to make up for the sun's work in breaking down the CC.

The enclosure should not affect any of the other levels I do not think. Other than reducing the evaporation some by lowing any wind affects.

Re: What effect does a screen enclosure have on chlorine use

This is sort of what I'm dealing with now. I have an automatic cover and find my chlorine stays more elevated longer, even to the point of me just turning the SWG off for days on end. I test daily (even more when I was working on lowering my TA). I've decided to not worry that my CYA is very slightly lower than recommended. I do open the cover up during the day when I want to burn off a little chlorine or just enjoy the pretty water/fountain.
I'm new at this but am enjoying learning about and the tweaking of the various elements in/of the pool very much! Especially appreciate all the help found here on TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.