Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What effect does a screen enclosure have on chlorine use?

1. Back To Top    #1

What effect does a screen enclosure have on chlorine use?

I have searched and searched on here but can't find much of anything useful.

My pool has a flat roofed screen enclosure, What effect does that have on chlorine use versus a pool with no screen? Or on any other chemicals in the water.
    I'm just a curious feller...
    12500 gal plaster IGP
    1hp 230v whisperflo dos speed
    Pentair sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: What effect does a screen enclosure have on chlorine use

With less direct sunlight on the pool, your FC will not be broken down by the sun. So, you may be able to get by with a lower CYA level and thus a lower FC level. Also, you will end up with less organics blowing into the pool, so the daily FC demand should be reduced. On the flip side, the sun usually helps to break down the bad CC, so without the sun, your FC will have to make up for the sun's work in breaking down the CC.

The enclosure should not affect any of the other levels I do not think. Other than reducing the evaporation some by lowing any wind affects.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

This is sort of what I'm dealing with now. I have an automatic cover and find my chlorine stays more elevated longer, even to the point of me just turning the SWG off for days on end. I test daily (even more when I was working on lowering my TA). I've decided to not worry that my CYA is very slightly lower than recommended. I do open the cover up during the day when I want to burn off a little chlorine or just enjoy the pretty water/fountain.
    I'm new at this but am enjoying learning about and the tweaking of the various elements in/of the pool very much! Especially appreciate all the help found here on TFP!
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Sort of a side note but your pool water will be noticeably cooler than a pool without the screen.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School