Skimmer too low...need suggestion

gujjuman

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 3, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hi All,

We just finished up a complete remodel of our pool built in 2001. The PB demo'ed the concrete deck, tile, coping, etc and installed all new plumbing, pavers, pebblesheen, tile, deck, pebblesheen, etc.

The skimmers were not replaced because the PB said removing them would affect the structural integrity of the pool.

So, I filled the pool to about 1.5 inches above the bottom of the tile and the water level is too high for the skimmer. Dirt/debris is just floating right by. Am hoping that you all will have a suggestion that will solve this issue. I could lower the water level, but it doesn't leave much room before exposing Pebblesheen. Thanks in advance for the replies!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 518
Typically there would be a floating weir that allowed only the surface of the water to pass through. Your skimmers do not look like they were designed to include that feature, but you might be able to make something that would serve the same purpose.

Our skimmer also requires the water to be at around 1/3 up with respect to the skimmer opening. But, that's crazy! You might ask the builder to explain the thinking because without a weir, I don't see how you are going to get adequate surface flow to pull in debris into the skimmer.

I have a very similar situation in my pool. When I moved into the house 10 years ago I found that my skimmer did not have a weir door. That first season I kept the water in the pool just above the bottom of the skimmer opening. The skimming action was less than impressive, but if I raised the water level I wouldn't get ANY skimming at all.

The second season I added a spring-loaded generic weir door which allowed me to raise the water level to the top of the skimmer opening. The water level is now 4-5 inches higher than the first season and the skimming action is about the same... not very impressive. Even though the water level is higher it still seems low to me. A few years ago I found out that when the pool was refurbished in the 80's they poured another pool deck on top of the original concrete, raised the rim of the pool and liner, but did not replace or elevate the skimmer.

This year I plan to install a PoolSkim on my shallow end return line, raise the level of the pool above the original skimmer opening, and use the original skimmer as a non-skimming inlet to the pump/filter. I will also be able to use my bottom drain instead of leaving it closed in an attempt to increase skimmer action. I'm not sure if it will work but it can't be any worse than the current situation (ants, bees, and beetles constantly floating on the surface).

Thanks for the replies...
There actually is a weir door (removed for picture), but there is still minimal if any skimming due to the water level, which is already at the top of the skimmer door as in the picture.

It seems to me that the skimmer settled (since it was not replaced) during the remodel. Even with the weir door, I would think that the the water level would have to be lower to get any skimming action and to allow debris to come in, right?

sorry for the confusion on the question...

The lower the water level, the faster it will move through the skimmer improving debris capture. But you want to make sure that your pool surface is not exposed for long periods of time so if you don't have an auto fill, you will need to leave enough margin for between fills.

In addition, one thing that your might try is extending the top of the weir door with a strip of plastic so it is above the water line. A plastic ruler cut to length with double sided tape might work. That will force the door down and increase the velocity over the door a little.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that pool is filled to half-way up the tile band (where I like to keep mine), that skimmer opening is going to be completely under water. Not gonna be much skimming going on.

Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me.

BINGO...You're exactly right..that's the problem. The water is above (or very close to) the top of skimmer opening....debris is just floating right by....

The skimmer is too low? Water level is certainly not too high based on tile height.

I added a pic with the weir door...you can't see it that well because the entire door is below the water..

BTw very hard to get that picture, almost dropped smart phone into pool!!
[attachment=0:28bvq2hp]photo.JPG[/attachment:28bvq2hp]

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 371

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To get the skimmer to work properly, you will need to drop the water level so there is at least a small gap between the water line and the top of the skimmer. Preferably large enough to allow floating debris into the skimmer. Ideally you would like the waterline slightly below the top of the weir door but that may not be possible in your case without exposing the pool surface which is why I suggested increasing the weir door height. But even to get a gap at the top of the skimmer, you may end up having to expose the pool surface and long term, that could be a problem.

It certainly doesn't make sense that your PB took all the time to re-plaster and tile but yet didn't take into account the height of the skimmer. Would you have any recourse with him/her? It appears from the picture you're limited to a very small variance of water height to accomplish any skimming without exposing the plaster - SIGHHHHH!!! I just don't get it especially when they are supposed to be the experts.

Seems like there is no easy solution since reducing water level = exposing the pool finish.

Does their original premise that replacing the skimmers would cause disruption of the concrete shell make sense?

Should I demand that they rip out the tile, and then replace the skimmers completely?

Something is certainly different than the original setup. They could have added more tile below the now existing tile to alleviate the issue. I don't understand why it's different than the original setup. It obviously worked before. I would certainly begin with discussions with the PB to determine what you are to do and see how he/she reacts.

People replace skimmers all the time and it doesn't affect the integrity of the shell. I just think they didn't want to mess with it because it requires a good but of jackhammering, forming and concrete replacement.

Thanks, all for the replies. I think I've figured out what happened....

1. Demo of concrete and subsequent regrading probably increased coping level slightly.
2. Tile was then installed and neither the tile guy nor the project manager checked the location of the tile in relation to the skimmer. They obviously didn't want to replace the skimmers based on what Bama Rambler said. This is where it could have been prevented with adding a border, larger tile or replacing/resetting the skimmer.
3. The tile was then set higher, thereby raising the level of the sheen almost to top of skimmer...

I'm going to ask them to tear out pavers and replace skimmers in the fall. It was a large remodel and ultimately the responsibility falls on them to do it right. I'm sure there will be an alternate solution proposed but I'm not interested in band-aid. Would you all handle differently at this point?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.