Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pump and filter

1. Back To Top    #1

New pump and filter

I have an above ground pool( 18 ft, 7600 gal ) that is sunk 2 ft into the ground. Last year I moved the pump/filter away from the pool and hard plumbed with 1 1/2 in pvc.

I currently am running a Hayward SP180 sand filter with a 1 1/2 horse power-flo matrix pump. I want to go to a cartridge filter and a new pump ( the
    matrix has trouble priming ) and I am looking at getting a Pentair CCRP 100 with a 1/2 hp Superflo pump.

My filter press is reading 11 psi on the new gauge I put in today so I believe my TDH is roughly 44 ft. Any thoughts on this filter/pump combo?
    18 ft Corenelius buried 2 feet. Hard Plumbed to Pump House.
    1/2 HP Pentair Superflo pump with Pentair CCRP-150 Cartridge filter.
    ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pump and filter

Welcome to TFP!

I recommend getting a slightly larger filter if you have room and can afford it. Larger filters are more energy efficient and can go longer between backwashes.

That pump is fine. You could save a little money in the long run by going with a 3/4 HP two speed, which costs less to run on low speed, but it would cost more up front.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. My pump and filter are set in a garden shed type box with a front and top that open up. I don't think I could get anything bigger than a 100 sq ft filter in it(vertical clearance with lid down). I will recheck the dimensions and see if anything larger will fit.
    ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just curious, is there adequate air flow in the shed/box for your pump motor to not overheat?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yea, there is plenty of room inside. Also I have vent holes drilled at the bottom next to the motor. I have had my equipment in this little garden shed for about 9 yrs.

It is approx 4.5 ft wide by 3.5 deep with a hinged top that slopes back to front. The back wall is about 47 in. and the front wall/door is at about 42 in.
    ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.