Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Beer Brats

1. Back To Top    #1

Beer Brats

So far, all I've done is sponge info off everyone else. Finally, something I can contribute!

What follows is a recipe for beer brats that will make you the envy of every other backyard bbq master in your neighborhood, I promise.

You'll need a suitable number of bratwurst. If you can't get it fresh from a local butcher, I've found there are two brands : Johnsonville, and the ones that suck.

You'll need a 6-pack of beer for up to about 20 brats. Local microbrewery puts up a dark nut brew that's awesome, so if you can find something local, give it a whirl. Dark seems to work better, imo anyway. If you're looking for something readily available in stores, my own preference is Killian's Irish Red.

A red onion and whatever spices you may enjoy (I rather like garlic, caribbean jerk seasoning, or perhaps a local blend if you have one you like) top things off.

Drop the brats into a large bowl. Cut up the red onion into the bowl, sprinkle in the spices, and pour in enough beer to cover the whole thing.

Cover the bowl, stick it in the fridge. I've left mine in there for as long as 3 days with no ill effects, though much past 24 hours seems to provide diminishing returns. 12 hours is an absolute minimum, imo.

Fire up the grill. You'll want the heat fairly low.

In a skillet, place 4-5 brats (or whatever fits) and fill about 1/3-1/2 full with the beer/onion/spices right out of the bowl. Cover the grill, and let the heat do its thing.

What you're looking for is to bring the mixture to a light boil and froth, and for the brats to turn a grey color. Should take about 8-10 minutes or so.

At this point, pull the brats out (tongs only please...don't stab em!!) and place them directly on the uncovered grill to brown everything up, much as you might do with hot dogs. The remaining broth in the skillet should be dumped, and replaced with fresh from the bowl for the next batch.

Serve on large split rolls. Offer kraut, mustard (yellow, brown, spicy), and whatever else you wish as condiments, and lots of napkins!

Enjoy.

==========

PS - The final grill stage will burn off any residual alcohol, no worries serving these to kids or at alcohol-free functions.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Beer Brats

Mouth is watering!!!

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Beer Brats

Sounds Great!
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure

4. Back To Top    #4

Gordon, you forgot the Brick Cheese slice on top!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    I DID say "...whatever else you wish as condiments".

Cheese is a condiment, right?
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by gboulton
    Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    I DID say "...whatever else you wish as condiments".

Cheese is a condiment, right?
    I think Cheese is one of the 5 food groups?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

7. Back To Top    #7

Everybody know's the real what BBB really stands for.....
    Brats, Bacon, and Better not forget the cheese!

Sounds good.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gboulton
    ...At this point, pull the brats out (tongs only please...don't stab em!!) and place them directly on the uncovered grill to brown everything up, much as you might do with hot dogs...
    After I poach them I like to make a slice about half way trough all the way up the inside of the curve. I only brown them for a couple minutes so they don't have time to dry out and you don't squirt yourself with hot grease. I learned from a german so you know it's legit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jimany
    After I poach them I like to make a slice about half way trough all the way up the inside of the curve. I only brown them for a couple minutes so they don't have time to dry out and you don't squirt yourself with hot grease. I learned from a german so you know it's legit.
    Murderer!
    -Gordon