Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh my god Sink and Sweep! Cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Oh my god Sink and Sweep! Cloudy water

My water has been cloudy as fugg. I bought a foreclosure last May. I went to the pool store and they sold us about $300 worth of Baquacrap. Lets just say the pool was never where we wanted to be. This spring comes (round 2). I stumbled upon this forum and heard raves of the BBB method. I have probably spent a good $120 on bleach so far, my pool has cleared up, but it is still cloudy. Went to target bought a bottle of Aquachem Sink and Sweep, but i just left it in my garage for the next 3 weeks. Finally yesterday, after weeks perfect test scores, of the filter running, backwash after backwash, borax after borax, bleach bottle after bleach, shock, chlorine tabs & clarifier, I decided that I exhausted all options and broke down. Applied this through skimmer, w/o basket for 10 minutes, returned basket to skimmer and recirculated another 2 hours, then cut off filter for 24 hours. Am I on to something here?

Before

After

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Oh my god Sink and Sweep! Cloudy water

Am I on to something here?
    No, not really. Everything we do here begins with accurate test results and then we can suggest a path for you to take. Once that starts, you should read all the articles in Pool School and you will begin to get a foothold on what's wrong with your pool and, importantly, the right thing to do about it
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I opened to the worst black swamp ever this year. It was so murky I couldn't see past the surface. With the help of these guys, the proper test kit, and following the BBB my pool is in better shape than it has been in the past three years. I know it's easy to run to the pool store and them tell you to buy x, y, z but most of them don't understand the BBB method and their advice conflicts with what you'll learn here.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you read "Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine" in Pool School?
    Also, make sure to get the organics (sticks, leaves....) out of the pool.
    "after weeks perfect test scores" What were they and how did you measure them?
    Did you change out your filter media? (by the way what is your equipment?)
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mcoonan
    Have you read "Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine" in Pool School?
    Also, make sure to get the organics (sticks, leaves....) out of the pool.
    "after weeks perfect test scores" What were they and how did you measure them?
    Did you change out your filter media? (by the way what is your equipment?)
    Yeah I think more of the problem is with vacuum and filtering than bbb...yesterday i opened up the pump basket and it was filled w/ twigs. The pool came with a basic haywood sand filter....I've been using a brush/vacuum head I found at walmart...I do have a weighted vacuum head coming in the mail. My filter sucks though, Ithink that's the problem.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Like Dave said above, proper maintenance and balanced water chemistry is dependent on accurate testing. Do you have your own test kit? If not, I suggest the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. This will cost a fraction of what you have already spent on chemicals, and save you LOTS of time and money in the long run!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    Like Dave said above, proper maintenance and balanced water chemistry is dependent on accurate testing. Do you have your own test kit? If not, I suggest the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. This will cost a fraction of what you have already spent on chemicals, and save you LOTS of time and money in the long run!
    In have a ta fc cc ph liquid drop kit I bought off ebay...and 2 kinds of test strips...like Isaid before, I'm thinking the maintenance is a bigger factor than the testing

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

That's great to hear you have a test kit! What are you current levels?

Also, have you gotten a chance to check out Pool School and the Pool Calculator? (links in my signature box)

9. Back To Top    #9

updated photos...ordered a taylor k-2005 from ebay, it's on it's way. Did the sink and sweep and vacuum process a good three times. My test strips had Hardness at 100, so I ordered some increaser. Dumped in 4 182 oz bottles of bleach yesterday just for fun. PH was 7.8 w/ my liquid test kit, but 7.2 with test strips Alkalinity is around 100. These pictures are with the filter running of course, ill cut the filter off and post more pics tomm.

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi, someone asked earlier if you changed the sand in your filter after the baquacil conversion. If you have not you really need to do this. Stuff getting past the filter is a sign of channeling, meaning the sand has compacted to the point it is hardened and the water is cutting channels into the sand that allows some debris to pass through the filter back into the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Hi, someone asked earlier if you changed the sand in your filter after the baquacil conversion. If you have not you really need to do this. Stuff getting past the filter is a sign of channeling, meaning the sand has compacted to the point it is hardened and the water is cutting channels into the sand that allows some debris to pass through the filter back into the pool.
    Thank you for your suggestion. I haven't gotten around to changing the filter sand, maybe i will do that next payday. I hear I should change the laterals as well?

12. Back To Top    #12

Unless the laterals are broken they should be fine. Just be very careful changing the sand as laterals can be easily damaged.
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

I'd try this before changing the sand. http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-sa...lit=channeling
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by macgulley
    I'd try this before changing the sand. http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-sa...lit=channeling
    thanks, im gonna try this whenever i have a chance

15. Back To Top    #15

After a baquacil conversion you still have to change the sand.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    After a baquacil conversion you still have to change the sand.
    Ahh, I didn't know that. Well, at least might it buy some time till payday?
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

17. Back To Top    #17

Unfortunately the k-2005 test kit does not have the all important FAS-DPD chlorine test ... which is why we recommend the k-2006 or the TF100.

Fortunately you can add just that test to give you a full kit. Tftestkits.net sells it and you may get it from Dave faster than your kit from ebay.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Update

Received my Taylor k-2005...Test results from Sat 2 hours after i poured a bag of shock (Cal-hypo)

TC - 5+
    FC - 5+
    CC - 0??
    TA - 110
    CH - 190
    PH - 7.4
    CYA - a little under 30

I ordered the FAS/DPD test, as well as 3 bags of sand last night.

19. Back To Top    #19

That's why you need the FAS-DPD chlorine test. You can't test past 5. Looks like you are on your way to doing good. Being in AZ, you probably need to have your CYA around 40 at a minimum if the pool gets a lot of sun. For now you can keep using that floater and trichlor tabs, but keep an eye on the CYA, shoot for 40 as a goal for now, and don't let it get over 50!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    That's why you need the FAS-DPD chlorine test. You can't test past 5. Looks like you are on your way to doing good. Being in AZ, you probably need to have your CYA around 40 at a minimum if the pool gets a lot of sun. For now you can keep using that floater and trichlor tabs, but keep an eye on the CYA, shoot for 40 as a goal for now, and don't let it get over 50!
    Oh i'm in Virginia not AZ, unless you were abbreviating something else

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast