skimmer and liner ???

Jul 14, 2011
have a question on my skimmer, we just installed a used pool which was put up last july and the owners had to move so we bought it so the pool is pretty much still new. the [problem im having is i had a hard to getting the skimmer tight enough against the gaskets to get a good seal. the problem was when the installers put it up the first time around i think they tightened down on the screws a bit to much so when i went to install it in our yard i could not get the screws tight. it would get to a almost tight fit and then it would just spin. so i figured ok not a big deal its good enough well no its not i have a pin hole leak on the outside of the pool that i fixed but after hard plumbing it this weekend it broke loose again no i have a huge clump of silicone to keep it from leaking.

so whit that said i want to just order a new skimmer but have concern on the liner where the screw holes went in. when i plce my new skimmer on there is it ok to get some clear silicone and go around the inside of the gasket against the liner of the pool and the inside of the pool wall just to be safe i get a dry fit with no leaks from the inside or out. my concern was the silicone would somehow do harm to the liner.

oh also when i drop the water level to do this how far should i drop it past the skimmer would 4' be good?

here is the link to our pool build as well wife-and-myself-first-time-pool-install-just-the-2-of-us-t43298.html

yes it does but like i said the screw holes where stripped and i cant get a tight seal on it. i went ahead and ordered a new skimmer off ebay and will be picking up a new butterfly gasket for it. i was just wanting to be safe and adding some sort of sealant around the inside of the gasket and outside. what do you reccomend i use?

I personally don't recommend a sealant at all. The gasket should do the job without additional help. BUT if you want to use the silicone sealant, that's fine. It won't hurt anything and if you apply it correctly and let it cure, it'll give you peace of mind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.