Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Ionizers

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Ionizers

I just had my pool resurfaced with Wet-Edge Pearl Matrix, which is essentially pebbles or aggregate. Previously I had plaster, and for the past year I had installed a product called "Pool Rx" which is a rod of metals which are supposed to prevent algae growth. And so it did. The pool looked beautiful, however, when the chemistry was tested by the gentleman whose company was to (and now has) resurface/d my pool, he found my Alkalinity to be practically nil. In order to not nullify my warranty, I need to make sure that my chemistry is spot on. My question is: do ionizers affect the alkalinity? Do they affect the chlorine stabilizers? Any information, either pro or con regarding ionizers will be welcomed, and appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Pool Ionizers

They are essentially a waste of money, although they don't affect any other chemistry in the water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pool Ionizers

Welcome to TFP!

Ionizers add copper to the water. Copper can sometimes cause unsightly stains which are expensive or impossible to remove.

The ionizer would not have had any effect on the TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School