Size of plumbing and # of skimmers for new pool?

Electron Mover

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2012
Prince George, VA
My wife and I are meeting with a PB tomorrow. We are getting a 37'9"L X 14'1"W, depth 3'10"-6"6 rectangular fiberglass pool and I wonder if we should get 2 skimmers and if so, should they be looped or on separate lines and 2" or 2.5" lines? How many returns? 1.5" or 2" pipe for the returns and loop them? 2.0" or 2.5" for the main drain(s)? I was planning on a sand filter and over sizing it so that I could run the pump slower with equal filtration and not have to backwash as much....does this make sense and any recommendations for manufacturer and model# would be greatly appreciated as well as a SWCG.
We aren't putting in any water features or a spa.
Thanks for any and all help as I'm overloaded!! :hammer:

I have no specifics, other than bigger pipe is usually better, but at some point it no longer really matters as the pump will only move a certain amount of water anyway.

Generally separate runs from the pool to the pad are better especially on the suction side. A 2" run from each skimmer and main should be fine. If they are combined then you should increase the pipe size. Having them separate also increases you control of the water flow.

I am going to be no help on the number of returns, but again splitting them into zones from the pad could help.

See what the builder recommends and then post up a full list of equipment to get some opinions. It generally seems like the recommended pumps are oversized. With now special water features a 3/4HP or 1HP 2-speed pump may be fine.

You want to size a SWG cell for 1.5-3x larger than your pool. For you ~19k gallon pool, look for a cell around 40k.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.