Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Size of plumbing and # of skimmers for new pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Prince George, VA

Size of plumbing and # of skimmers for new pool?

My wife and I are meeting with a PB tomorrow. We are getting a 37'9"L X 14'1"W, depth 3'10"-6"6 rectangular fiberglass pool and I wonder if we should get 2 skimmers and if so, should they be looped or on separate lines and 2" or 2.5" lines? How many returns? 1.5" or 2" pipe for the returns and loop them? 2.0" or 2.5" for the main drain(s)? I was planning on a sand filter and over sizing it so that I could run the pump slower with equal filtration and not have to backwash as much....does this make sense and any recommendations for manufacturer and model# would be greatly appreciated as well as a SWCG.
    We aren't putting in any water features or a spa.
    Thanks for any and all help as I'm overloaded!!
    Barrier Reef Pacific1-Pacific color 37'9" X 14'1" fiberglass IG ~ 17,500 gallons, FHPM1.0-2 Jandy FloPro pump, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Waterco Multicyclone 16 pre filter, Jandy CV580 filter, 3 PAL-2000 RU LED lights, 1 skimmer, 2 main drains, 3 returns, 2" rigid pvc suction and return plumbing, BBB method, TF100 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Size of plumbing and # of skimmers for new pool?

I have no specifics, other than bigger pipe is usually better, but at some point it no longer really matters as the pump will only move a certain amount of water anyway.

Generally separate runs from the pool to the pad are better especially on the suction side. A 2" run from each skimmer and main should be fine. If they are combined then you should increase the pipe size. Having them separate also increases you control of the water flow.

I am going to be no help on the number of returns, but again splitting them into zones from the pad could help.

See what the builder recommends and then post up a full list of equipment to get some opinions. It generally seems like the recommended pumps are oversized. With now special water features a 3/4HP or 1HP 2-speed pump may be fine.

You want to size a SWG cell for 1.5-3x larger than your pool. For you ~19k gallon pool, look for a cell around 40k.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!