wondering how long I can use pucks for

axell

Nov 25, 2011
Pasadena, California
Hello all,
My mom recently had her pool re-done last December. It was built in the late 50's, and was last replastered in the 80'2. We had all new plumbing, drains, skimmer, and added a few more returns. The pool looks great, previously my parents had a pool guy doing the maintenance, and that pool went for 25 years with pucks and never was drained. I never tested the water, but it always looked good.
Since the remodel, I started to do the maintenance myself, but I live about 5 miles away, and sometimes only make it over there 2 or 3 times a week. My plan is to use trichlor pucks for a while, and bleach to shock if/when needed.
My tests results:
pH 7.8
chlorine 3 ppm
alk 100ppm
carbonate hardness 200ppm
CYA <30 but >20ppm
My reason for wanting to use the trichlor for a while is because we had quite a bit left over from prior to the remodel, my CYA is still pretty low, and I cant get over there every other day consistently to add bleach.
So my questions are, how long can I use the trichlor for, and when I switch to bleach is every 2 to tree days feasible to keep up with demand? My mom is 80, and I don't want her to have to mess with it.
I currently keep 4 pucks in the floater, and need to add about 2 a week to keep it topped off.
Pool is crystal clear so far, thanks for the advice!

You can use the Pool Calc to figure out how many you can use before the CYA gets too high. Take that, the starting CYA and the fact that you use 2 tablets a week and you can figure about how long you can use it.

What is your mom's pool volume? (assuming it is not the one in your signature)

You can use poolcalculator.com to see the affects of adding various chemicals at the bottom. For example, if the pool is 30,000 gallons, every 7 oz trichlor puck adds 1.6ppm FC, 1ppm CYA, 1.3ppm salt, and lowers pH by 0.09

Bama Rambler said:
They make different sizes of tablets, so you'll have to look and see which size you have. 7 oz and 8 oz are common sizes.

Ah good to know. I thought I remember them being 8 oz and then a quick search revealed 7 oz ... did not realize it could be both.

Ill go check the tub when I get up there. Now, I realize that it is highly variable, and dependent on a variety of environmental factors, but in general, does a pool with adequate CYA and a low bather load require daily additions of bleach to keep levels on target?

Well, you will always be loosing FC to the sun even with the CYA. Seems like many pools use 2-3ppm of FC a day. After some measurements, you should be able to figure out what that pool uses. You could then add FC for 2-3 times that use and then only have to add more every 2-3 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.