The Liquidator - What is it?

Apr 21, 2010
What exactly is the Liquidator? I'm assuming it's a chlorine delivery system, but I can't seem to find the post/thread/site that tells me enough about it.

If it is what I think it is, I want one. :)

Can somebody point me to the definitative information resources for this?

There are lots of threads about it and they delve into how it works. You can use the Google search at the bottom left of the page to search for it.

It is a chlorine delivery system. It requires no power and uses the suction and discharge head of your system to move the chlorine.

I do not recommend one for a pool the size of yours! Once you pass about 25,000 gallons even the 8 gallon model becomes too small. If you could get your FC usage down to 2 ppm per day, that equates to over a gallon of bleach per day and you'd have to fill the 8 gal liquidator more than once a week.

I suggest you look at an injection pump and tank setup. I use a Stenner pump and a 15 gallon drum but there are several other mfg's out there and you could go with a 30 gallon drum if you wanted to go longer between fillups.

You could also look at a swcg.

If pouring bleach into my pool a few times a week is the alternative, I'm fine with handling it that way, I guess.

I am pretty laid back in terms of how I maintain the pool. I typically just pour a few gallons of store-bought $1.69 bleach into the pool every week or so or if I see it getting yellow. I run the skimmers for 8-10 hrs every day or two and I vaccuum/net once a week or so. I check chemicals maybe once a week and manage PH from that.

Seems like that works great. The pool is generally crystal clear. If I could replace the pouring-bleach-in step because it was easy and relatively cheap, I would (thus my reason for inquiring about the Liquidator). My in-line chlorinator broke at some point and I plugged it and never replaced it (The lid was impossible to get on and off and I hated filling it anyway).

I have had a Liquidator since I built my pool in 2007. I am still using it but will be retiring it this season to test out a stenner setup (I am starting my homework on the Stenner... I.e. Reading all the posts here...). But before retirement I have some further testing to do on it.

The major pro for me is it simplicity and how the salt drops out. The major con for me, I wish it had a better hose connection. It has been the only source that causes my pump to lose prime due to hoses coming off. (I reduced it a bit by cutting the tubing twice a season. The new section stays on better...) Another con, during the heat of a Texas summer it can't keep up but all I have to do is add some chlorine to the pool by hand once a week or so. No biggie. Another con is when my solar's come on, the pressure rises and causes a higher usage of chlorine. It almost doubles the flow rate. (Installed various flow meters to verify this some time ago) I never finished looking into pressure regulators so I just accepted the effect. Which during the summer months turned this issue into a Pro. For I was able to get more chlorine into the pool but I was filling up the unit twice a week. (I use my solar's to cool off the water during the summer nights. I am able to keep the water around 84 degrees in August last year.) Which means more trips to Sams to get a truck load of chlorine. I finally found some chlorine in 30 and 55 gal outdoor rated (black) drums. Turns out that it is also 12.5%. New to me, for my Sams chlorine is 5-6%. It is MUCH nicer to only have to pump out the chlorine directly to my Liquidator verses going back and forth to the garage... Even as the chlorine degrades, it's still stronger than my 5% from Sams...

For the first time, last weekend I started using 12.5% bleach in it. I am interested to see what the results will be with a stronger solution. I am also filling it up to the bottom of the black funnel. I just added some Cyanuric Acid this weekend since I exchanged out the water over the winter.

Sabot said:
I have had a Liquidator since I built my pool in 2007. I am still using it but will be retiring it this season to test out a stenner setup (I am starting my homework on the Stenner... I.e. Reading all the posts here...). But before retirement I have some further testing to do on it.

The major pro for me is it simplicity and how the salt drops out. The major con for me, I wish it had a better hose connection. It has been the only source that causes my pump to lose prime due to hoses coming off. (I reduced it a bit by cutting the tubing twice a season. The new section stays on better...) Another con, during the heat of a Texas summer it can't keep up but all I have to do is add some chlorine to the pool by hand once a week or so. No biggie. Another con is when my solar's come on, the pressure rises and causes a higher usage of chlorine. It almost doubles the flow rate. (Installed various flow meters to verify this some time ago) I never finished looking into pressure regulators so I just accepted the effect. Which during the summer months turned this issue into a Pro. For I was able to get more chlorine into the pool but I was filling up the unit twice a week. (I use my solar's to cool off the water during the summer nights. I am able to keep the water around 84 degrees in August last year.) Which means more trips to Sams to get a truck load of chlorine. I finally found some chlorine in 30 and 55 gal outdoor rated (black) drums. Turns out that it is also 12.5%. New to me, for my Sams chlorine is 5-6%. It is MUCH nicer to only have to pump out the chlorine directly to my Liquidator verses going back and forth to the garage... Even as the chlorine degrades, it's still stronger than my 5% from Sams...

For the first time, last weekend I started using 12.5% bleach in it. I am interested to see what the results will be with a stronger solution. I am also filling it up to the bottom of the black funnel. I just added some Cyanuric Acid this weekend since I exchanged out the water over the winter.

Hey I just bought a stenner pump. Going to have the pool builder install it (am in austin). Ill let you know how it goes, if you want to come by and see it you can. A neighbor of mine has one too.

Bama Rambler said:
You really need a system! Thinking about only adding FC every week or so makes me cringe. You really need to maintain your pool better.

"Better" from what perspective?

If (a) it's crystal clear and (b) it's safe, what does "better" mean? I generally test once a week and add bleach once or twice a week. I run the pump a few hours a day and vacuum/brush once a week or so.

I'm not asking to be a smart Rear - I'm just not sure what better means?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.