Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about adding CL

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about adding CL

I'm fighting the pea soup battle and it's come a long way since yesterday, I literally vaccumed my butt off till exhaustion. I added 4 lbs of the powder shock and this morning had about .5 left of FC. I have the filter going 24/7. Now I know I need to add more CL to keep it in shock level which for my pool is about 15-16ppm. My question is, should I add the shock in this morning- (I will be using 6% bleach from here on out) or just add it back in tonight? I plan on getting out there and vaccuming again in a little bit and today is going to be a semi-scortcher! So I don't want to add it in this morning and again this evening if I don't have to.

My numbers this morning are

FC .05
    PH 7.2 (it was 7.8 yesterday morning)
    TA 60 (not sure if I should bring this up to 70-80?
    CYA- I am out of the regent to test it,. But assuming I started with 0 and added 4 lbs of the aqua chem shock plus, which adds CYA
    *~ Laura ~*
    27x52 Aquasphere Conquest AGP (approx.17,100 gal)
    1 HP Pentair Dynamo Pump & SD-40 Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Question about adding CL

Check your shock value. I don't think you added 40ppm CYA....probably more like 20ppm so your shock value should be 10-12ppm

Anyway, since you have some CYA in the pool, it is really helpful if you bring the CL up to shock value and HOLD IT THERE CONSTANTLY or as close to that as you can. That means dosing and testing as many times daily as you are capable
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave!

I usually leave the CYA level at 30 and put in 2- 182 oz of bleach every 2-3 days and 2 lbs of the aqua chem plus blue every 2 weeks, and I have never had a green pool.That is what I was thinking to keep adding the CL, boy is this going to be expensive! Lesson learned- NEVER leave pool uncovered over the winter (or lack of one). Every year I have opened up to clear water, just add chems, run the rover and very minimal cleaning and it's ready to go.
    *~ Laura ~*
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added

4. Back To Top    #4

YAY The pool is almost ready for swimming! Just one more good vaccum and add some CL and it's ready to go. FINALLY! Only have been running that darn filter 24/7 for a week and a half straight. NO LIE- 24 bottles of 182 oz bleach went in that sucker!
    *~ Laura ~*
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added