Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner - clueless

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner - clueless

Hello Everyone,

I am new at pool ownership and this is our first year opening the pool. We got the water level up, pump running, brushed, vaccumed,backwashed (all day) and water seems pretty clear. I am going out to get the test kit tomorrow to start checking the water. I have an aqua comfort SWG and I am guessing we will have to add salt at some point. I'm just not sure when to do that.

My SWG showed an error message of "no water" , "water fault" for about 8 hours of the filter running. Then it must have suddenly realized it had water and the fault light came off. whew!

I am also trying to calcuate how much water the pool holds. It is 18 x 28 x 43 L shaped vinyl pool with a Hayward sand filter and hayward 1.5 hp pump. According to the calcuator on this site, it should be around 35,000? That seems high to me. Help?

Thanks!
    39,000 True L shaped 43 x 28 x 18 inground pool
    Hayward sand filter with Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    Aqua Comfort SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner - clueless

Welcome to TFP. Make sure you get one of the test kits that are recommended on this site. It will make your life much easier when it comes to taking care of your pool. Also, you will want to read "pool school" (see the button up there on the right) a few times to get an idea of what it is that we all do here. Between the test kits and pool school you will get a greater understanding of your pool and you won't find yourself throwing money at the pool store. There is also a link to the test kits and pool school in my signature
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Save yourself some guesswork and get the TF-100 kit and the add on salt test strips. Only had my kit a few days and everything is much more clear now, as far as knowing what to do and when to do it.
    25,000 gal plaster IG
    DE Filter
    Jandy SWG, 2.0hp Jandy Stealth pump
    DFW Area

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, and get a speed-stir if you have the extra cash. I wonderful little tool for checking water.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits