Water pouring out of this "pipe" in my heater

skali

May 26, 2009
I'm trying to open our pool by myself this year. (A decision I increasingly regret.)

Had some issues with the pump, but did get it up and running. Backwashing the filter was fine. But when I turned the handle on the filter to the regular "filter" setting, water began GUSHING out from the heater. (FYI, it's a Hayward H200.)

[attachment=0:2656e5t1]photo.jpg[/attachment:2656e5t1]

It's coming out of a small, open ended copper pipe. I've attached a photo so you can see. The problem is: I can't find this pipe on any of the Hayward schematics. I don't know what it's called, what its purpose is, or how to fix it! Seems like it needs a cap on the end or a diverter of some kind, but there's nothing to be seen....

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 102
That looks like an addition, not something that is standard on that heater. Is access to the normal drain plug blocked somehow? I can remotely imagine someone running a pipe off the side from the drain plug if there isn't any easy way to access the drain plug.

JasonLion said:
Is access to the normal drain plug blocked somehow?

No, the drain (or at least what I *assume* is the drain) is accessible and it works. I was able to loosen the nut and water did flow out. I have since re-tightened it. I'm absolutely stumped, meanwhile, the water in my pool gets greener and greener! :grrrr:

I dont know what a pressure switch is (will google it momentarily)! And I can' imagine why the pressure switch would have been removed and if it was removed, why it wasn't left with my other pool doo-dads. What a PITA!!

Okay, let's assume it's the pressure switch receptacle. Given that I don't want the heater on yet, what would happen if I just capped off the pipe? I'm really desperate to get he pump running!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.