Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge needs replacement, benefits to all new filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge needs replacement, benefits to all new filter?

Doing my spring DE filter cleaning and noticed holes in the mesh of the filter cartridge and broken pieces of plastic in there. My filter is 10-15 years old, when I moved in 4 years ago I couldn't read the specifics of the filter because they have long since become unreadable.

Are new filters much better that it would be worth replacing the entire filter?
    Plano, TX
    20,000 gallons Kidney Bean IG Plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear 530 Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge needs replacement, benefits to all new filter?

Do you have one of the stainless steel filter bodies? As long as there are no holes or corrosion you can refurbish a filter with new grids and o-rings and you will have a filter that works as well as a brand new model. The question is whether or not the filter is large enough for your pool and are you looking for a lower maintainence filter?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cartridge needs replacement, benefits to all new filter?

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Do you have one of the stainless steel filter bodies? As long as there are no holes or corrosion you can refurbish a filter with new grids and o-rings and you will have a filter that works as well as a brand new model. The question is whether or not the filter is large enough for your pool and are you looking for a lower maintainence filter?
    Thanks Zea3.

Yup it is one of the stainless ones.

As far as I know, it is big enough. I don't mind the backwashing and such so I guess I will look for new grids.
    Plano, TX
    20,000 gallons Kidney Bean IG Plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear 530 Cartridge Filter