What is the best way to add salt to a new pool?

tim1

Apr 26, 2010
Well after a failure in my pool wall last year I had to purchase a new pool. It is an 18 round by 52" above ground pool. I have it all setup and am ready to add the salt. What is the best way to add the salt to my pool? I remember a few years ago pourning it in and mixing it with a brush until it all dissolves, I have also mixed it in a bucket and poured it in that way. So if I dump the salt in and mix it with a brush will it damage my new liner or should I just mix it all in a bucket and add it that way? I am addind 200 lbs. and would like to get it together today. Thanks for your help.

You can just pour the salt in and then leave the pump running for 24 hours. You can brush some if you want, but it really doesn't make much difference. If you have a SWG, turn it off just before adding salt and for the next 24 hours.

Thank you for the quick reply........ I am going to start pouring the salt in now, with the SWG turned off. My wife and her sister are chomping at the bit for the water to be ready for a dip...

Have them get in to stir it around - it is fun. Someone on here once posted about their kids loving "salt day" because it looks like diamonds in the pool. I can confirm it is fun for the kids.

Well the kids are off to the pool(both over 40). The salt has disolved and they cant wait for me to put the ladder together. I think they are 40's going on 10. I know they will be giggling like lil school girls in a few minutes. Thanks for all the help.
Tim1

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.