Getting Fiberglass Pool Quotes

Electron Mover

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2012
Prince George, VA
My wife and I will be talking to fiberglass pool installers in the next few days. We contacted 4 and only 2 returned our call, so we will talk with the 2 who responded figuring that if they can not be bothered to try and earn our business, what in the world would they be like to deal with if we had problems...do y'all agree or should we talk to more than 2? The 2 we are going to meet with are both well regarded in the community and I have friends who have used them and been pleased. What makes it even better is that they install pools from the same manufacturer under different names, so we will be able to compare apples to apples. We are going to get prices for a turnkey installation.
Do y'all have any pointers for how to conduct these site surveys...specific questions to ask, things we should include, etc. We are looking at 2 pools which are identical except for size:
37'9"L X 14'1"W, depth 3'10"-6"6
33'9"L X 14"1"W, depth 3'8"-6"3"

Here is our list so far:
What material for back fill? (gravel preferred-what size and type?)
What tolerance for leveling, how many readings and from where to where?
How many skimmers ? and do they need to be individually plumbed or "looped"?
How many returns?
Rigid PVC and size for skimmer(s), drains and returns?
Hydrostatic Valve? (I have scoured the internet and see these are used in gunite (concrete) pools, but have never seen them used in fiber glass pools-anyone know why?)
Brand, size and model of pump? 2 speed or variable speed?
Brand, size and model of filter? I prefer sand as it is less labor intensive unless y'all think cartridge is better.
Brand and model of SWCG?
Fill water to be included. Hauling away dirt to be included.
Under water pool lights-what type, brand, location and how many-not interested in color changing.
Minimum size of patio (3' all the way around with 10' on one side is what we are thinking).
Dedicated suction line for vacuum?
No diving board or slide.
We were going to put off buying a cover until fall unless we would get a better price as part of the "package".

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Bill

Doug's suggestions:
1 - Especially with fiberglass, ask how the PB will set the pool - via crane or backhoe. If crane rental, make certain cost is included.
2 - Have them check your yard clearance for the equipment; some PB up charge if they have to use smaller equipment - more manual
moving of materials from front to back yard.
3 - Re: decking: Ask what is "standard" in their quotes and if there are any allowances for upgrades (i.e. color, stamping, etc)
4 - Ask if each drain/return is a dedicated line. Experts can chime in on the importance, but I figured having a dedicated line for each
provides some good back-up if there is a leak at one point.
5 - Ask to meet with the project manager and number of jobs they work on at one time.
6 - No matter how friendly you become, make sure you get everything in writing! Don't hesitate to ask for amended contracts, even for the
smallest changes; better safe than sorry.

Experts will undoubtably be along with great advice, but from my own bitter experience, I advise you to have an indepth plan for dealing with surface/ subsurface water drainage from around your pool. I did not know to think about that, nor was drainage adequately addressed, when my pool was built and we have had issues with frost damage to the pool coping.
Best of luck with your project!

Bill,

Though our pool is still in the construction phase (permit review), I'll share some key points we discussed in our initial bids with the PB's:

1 - Especially with fiberglass, ask how the PB will set the pool - via crane or backhoe. If crane rental, make certain cost is included.
2 - Have them check your yard clearance for the equipment; some PB up charge if they have to use smaller equipment - more manual
moving of materials from front to back yard.
3 - Re: decking: Ask what is "standard" in their quotes and if there are any allowances for upgrades (i.e. color, stamping, etc)
4 - Ask if each drain/return is a dedicated line. Experts can chime in on the importance, but I figured having a dedicated line for each
provides some good back-up if there is a leak at one point.
5 - Ask to meet with the project manager and number of jobs they work on at one time.
6 - No matter how friendly you become, make sure you get everything in writing! Don't hesitate to ask for amended contracts, even for the
smallest changes; better safe than sorry.

Best of luck in the project.

~Doug

No problem. As my wife reminds me all the time, the pool is a large financial purchase - but remember it is a "fun" purchase for rest, relaxation and enjoyment.

On a small side note - every time I call my PB, I get him on the phone. While I don't expect this service 24/7, it's nice to know I can always get his ear. Pick someone you can trust (and track down) and you'll be good.

EDIT: Also have them check your electric panel - make sure it is sufficient size and you have enough open slots. You don't want an unwelcome surprise when the electrician shows up and says you need an upgrade.

Expect to want to change something about your design after you think it's all settled....

Ask what the cost will be to add more deck to the job, after the contract is signed. Meaning get quote for X feet, sign contract, build pool, then change mind and what X more feet of patio, how much will that cost you Sq. ft. wise.....Is it just X per foot, or something else.

3' is pretty narrow for deck, can't put a chair there and still have room to walk by it (unless it is off the deck in grass etc.)

What are you doing for coping?

Have you thought about holes in decking for umbrellas?

Are they doing finish landscaping? Sprinklers, sod, plants etc.? If not have you started getting quotes on that stuff? Landscape lighting?

What are you going to do for shade?
What about pool furniture?
Pool heater? New grill? Natural gas line for both?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.