Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jets by seat/stair not producing much force, adjuster off?

1. Back To Top    #1

Jets by seat/stair not producing much force, adjuster off?

Hi - first time poster, long time lurker. Great site

I have a 16x32 IG vinyl pool. Hayward 48 DE microclear (DE) filter. 1 skimmer, 1 return and two 'jets' by the steps/bench at the far end of the pool. on the edge of the pool by the step is a twist cap that used to adjust the amount of air into the two return jets, creating sort of a jacuzzi type effect by the seat/stairs.

Pool company opened the pool last weekend and it's been running well. only problem is now when I open that twist cap by the stairs, it just overflows w/water. Also the pressure of the jets seems less than it should be.

Any thoughts on what went wrong? Should i just remove the adjusters and try larger ones? Clogged pipes? wrong jets installed? Any harm in replacing them w/different types?

TIA,

Brian
    NJ
    16x32 Vinyl lined IG, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 2 seat jets, 19.5k gal, Hayward 4800 fiber clear filter, 1hp pump, heater and in-line chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jets by seat/stair not producing much force, adjuster of

The step jets are missing a Teflon ring. Bet the jet nozzles are floppy, right? The lock ring has one also. I usually pick up the lock ring and pull the Teflon ring out and use that for the back of the jet insert's ball. It gets inserted fairly deep in the jet body. Happens all the time.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Scott for the quick reply! I'm going to check them right now. Does it matter if it's not a ball style jet? Maybe that's what they're called (sorry for not knowing all the terms!)

it's not this style

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrostream-Pool- ... =8-2-fkmr0

but more like this style (not exactly, but very close)

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Int%60 ... 29&sr=8-32

are they the same internally?

Thanks again

Brian
    NJ
    16x32 Vinyl lined IG, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 2 seat jets, 19.5k gal, Hayward 4800 fiber clear filter, 1hp pump, heater and in-line chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

Nope, different beasts from what I was expecting (these - http://www.amazon.com/Vari-Flo-Nozzle-A ... 52&sr=1-23) . I was referring to the ring on the right.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

that looks like them! the little jet piece spins freely, and i can push one of them in about 1/4 inch.

the outside ring that holds it against the pool is smooth, with two small holes opposite each other on the ring. Do I need to take that off first to remove the valve?

When I twist the jet it just spins & spins. Do I need a special tool to remove the valves?
    NJ

6. Back To Top    #6

A needle nose in the holes will remove the retention collars/locking rings if there are no tabs remaining.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

7. Back To Top    #7

wooo hoo! thanks for your help. Got them off. All the tabs were broken off both jets.

Seems like Leslie's doesnt have these. Should I be looking for a new style/kind?

Ok to run these returns without the jets on there? want to make sure I still circulate the water, no?

thanks again, you've been a great help.
    NJ

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, you can run with them out. Make sure the venturi valves are closed.

I hate it when services put broken tabbed rings back in. No new style. Leslies can get them though. So can any other Pool retailer.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Scott - got them back in and running w two two teflon rings in the back behind the jets. Will order some new ones later this week.

Appreciate the help!!
    NJ

10. Back To Top    #10

One ring goes in the screw in collar, one ring goes in the seat behind the jet insert. When the collar is threaded in correctly, it will hold the jet body in the correct position using friction. Because the Teflon is there, no scoring will form on the ball end of the jet body.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

11. Back To Top    #11

Right. I worded that wrong.

Both jets have a ring behind them ( took one out of collar like you suggested, one already had it in there - had to reach in and fish it out!). So basically one is complete w 2 Teflon rings, and one one has 1 Teflon ring behind the jet but nothin behind the collar.

Vent at the top still leaks a bit when opened, but nowhere near like it was before. Probably due to that missing Teflon ring on the one collar.

Next up - figuring out how to aim these for best circulation and skimmer direction...

Thanks again!
    NJ

12. Back To Top    #12

Step jets are not intended for that. They are meant for massaging. The wall returns are for circulation.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

13. Back To Top    #13

ooh. ok.

Seems like that one return that I have (deep end, almost directly across from skimmer and suction port) doesn't do a great job circulating any of the water in the shallow end. Pool is 16x32. No way to address that I guess...
    NJ

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: Jets by seat/stair not producing much force, adjuster off?

Thanks!!! a 3yo thread solved my issue and even had links to the replacement parts!