New Deck

kmb997

Jun 13, 2007
New Orleans
I just finished building my deck with pressure treated pine. How long do I have to wait before I stain/seal? Most builders here recommend 30 days. I'm thinking of using Cabot stains/sealers, does anyone have any other suggestions for a better product? Also, I see that Cabot has alot of products. Does anyone know what should be used for UV and water protection?

Thanks

I've never heard of waiting to stain either. Is it really wet?

I have Behr Premium Weatherproofing Wood Finish on our gazebo and swingset. PT pine is pretty darned hardy stuff, you can really use just about anything you want. You're going to have to coat it every 4 or 5 years no matter what you use (more for appearance sake than protection).

kmb,

PT pine in full Sun in the South is gonna need treating every couple of years to look decent. The
Sun/moisture/dryout cycle is probably the harshest environment wood is subjected to.

I put a temporary PT sidewalk in full Sun while I'm completing a project. This is it's second summer coming up and I would consider it pretty well shot......I have done nothing to it and it just can't deal with that cycle without a LOT of protection.

That's why that synthetic decking has gotten popular despite it's price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.