Hello everyone!

FC = 10
    CC = 0
    pH = 7.5
    CYA = 55
    TA = 90
    CH = 260
    temp = 72F

The above test results are from my own testing but I had the pool water tested by the pool store (just to see what they say) and came up with phosphates to be 100ppb. Their test for other parameters agreed with my testing except, they said CYA was 50.

I am about to add borax as soon as FC goes below 10. Should I add phosphate neutralizer also or will borax be enough combined with proper levels of FC to keep algae in check?

Also what is the significance of TDS in the water?

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Phosphates - to worry about?

With properly chlorinated water, phosphates are of no concern. There are people here on TFP who have phosphate levels 20 times what you have and they have no problems.

Why are you adding borax? Are you having trouble keeping your pH in check?

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!

Yes, I have pH always drifting to the high side and also I have heard so much about the benefits of borates... so I am going true BBB!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

or will borax be enough combined with proper levels of FC to keep algae in check?
    Important to note and an important idea in BBB is that adequate chlorine alone will keep your pool algae free.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

If you let the TA come down further, say to between 60 and 70, you should have a lot less trouble with the PH constantly going up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If you let the TA come down further, say to between 60 and 70, you should have a lot less trouble with the PH constantly going up.
    What Jason is saying is worth trying. Moving the TA after adding borates is hard to do.

7. Back To Top    #7

Whoops!

Already added borax yesterday... Today the TA has risen to 100 from 90.

FC 7
    CC 0
    CYA 55
    CH 260
    TA 100
    Bor 40 Waiting for 48 hours for exact test
    temp 76F

I am slowing down the spillway on the spa to see if that might be contributing to the rise in pH.

Also, I was holding FC around 8-9 before adding borates. Can I lower the FC to like 6 now that borates are in? Pool calculator says FC 4-9 or is this a question which can only be answered by experimentation?

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA

8. Back To Top    #8

You can certainly lower the FC level some, just how much requires experimentation. I suggest trying 5-6 to start with.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School