portable pool vac help

Mar 21, 2012
Hey guys im new here so if this is in the wrong place I apologize. Well i just took over my buddies weekly pool vacs not many only 10 but they are big pools vinyl and gunnite (any tips on vaccuming would be greatly appreciated) right now i have a portable set up with a hayward 1 hp pump and a hayward cartridge filter all pipped in 1 1/2 pipe. right from the start my prime/suction sucks compared to doing a power vac but i can vacuum just have to go slow. my problem is the cartridge gets clogged very quick (and yes i do have the basket in the pump) and i loose 1/2 my prime/suction im talking about 15 min into vacuuming then i have to clean filter yada yada yada. im wondering if its worth it to up the hp to 1 1/2 or even 2 and then pipe in 2 inch. or up the hp and change to a sand filter that i can rig up on a hand cart to handle the weight and pipe in 2 inch. I actually have an old clean machine sand filter with a multiport on top that i can use. It holds 300 lbs of sand but i think i can get away with half of that for just doing quick vacs. what do you guys think. I just cant vacuum these pools this slowly i need to speed things up and i think one of these ideas would help. Any input is very much appreciated thanks

If you are losing prime then there is an air leak on the suction side of the pump. Do these pools all have a lot of debris? You may want to add an inline leaf canister to your set up to catch the debris. Is there a reason you don't use the pool owner's equipment to vacuum the pool?

i dont think i am getting any air it doesnt seem that way anyway. I have already done the initial power vacs to these pools so there is not too much debris just the Crud that comes off the trees in the spring and this is the stuff clogging my cartridge. it just seems like the cartridge filter is restreicting the flow right from the start. maybe i just need a new cartridge. i just always go with the "more power" the better. and bigger is better methods. and none of these customers have any pool vac equipment. thanks again

If the pool is very dirty, then I would just vacuum to waste. Valve the discharge to control the suction, and water loss rate.

If the pool is not too bad, then just vacuum through the customer's system. Use your equipment, but their system. Vacuum through their skimmer using a vac plate over the skimmer basket.

If necessary, vacuum the worst with the side vac, and the rest through the customer's system.

i thought it was on the small side too thats why i was thinking of making something out of my old sand filter would a 1 hp pump be strong enough to run through the sand filter and give me good suction but i just ordered a new cartridge so i will see hoe that one does if i dont like it im going sand

yea i thought about the size thing as well and i already thought of ideas to make it easy to wheel around pump and filter mounter to a hand truck all plumbed up and ready to go. as far as just hooking up to customers fitler i would need to sped money on another vac hose long enough to reach some of these pools and when your vac a pool its easier to shut there system off to make it easier to see the bottom without the water rippling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
keastman said:
Don't they make a fine mesh bag for your power vac ....
I was thinking the same thing. I can't find all the links here on the site, but you can search for Slime Bags and 1 micron biodiesel filter bags from Duda Diesel. Those seem like the might provide some of the additional filtering needed.

I'm not endorsing them - never used 'em. They do sound interesting, though. I was thinking about using them to filter my backwash water and return it to the pool vice wasting it to the storm drain.

Cheers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.