Heat pump for pool and spa

VinceL

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 28, 2012
Newton, NC
We will be putting in a pool and spa this summer and plan to install a heat pump. I see that most of the heat pump companies offer at least one model that can heat a spa and a pool. I have looked at the installation info for these heat pumps and have a rather naive question.

The plumbing diagrams for the heat pumps that I have seen show a single return to and a single output from the heat pump. There are valves that connect the returns from the pool and spa to the heat pump, and the same configuration for sending the heated water to the spa and pool.

How does the heat pump monitor and control separate temperatures for the pool and spa? I would think the heat pump would need separate returns and outputs for the pool and for the spa.

Thanks for any help you give to this pool newbie.

I've been doing some more research and thinking (uh-oh, that thinking stuff usually gets me in trouble). Is it possible (practical?) to use an external control for the heat pump, actuators for the valves, and a timer to schedule times to heat the pool (at set temperature for the pool) and heat the spa (at spa set temperature)?

Pretty sure that the automation system would allow you to set different run time and temperatures. Although it could be a little tricky depending if schedule or temperature take priority.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.