Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat pump for pool and spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat pump for pool and spa

We will be putting in a pool and spa this summer and plan to install a heat pump. I see that most of the heat pump companies offer at least one model that can heat a spa and a pool. I have looked at the installation info for these heat pumps and have a rather naive question.

The plumbing diagrams for the heat pumps that I have seen show a single return to and a single output from the heat pump. There are valves that connect the returns from the pool and spa to the heat pump, and the same configuration for sending the heated water to the spa and pool.

How does the heat pump monitor and control separate temperatures for the pool and spa? I would think the heat pump would need separate returns and outputs for the pool and for the spa.

Thanks for any help you give to this pool newbie.
    Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat pump for pool and spa

It wont, it will heat all water the same, you would have to have two heat pumps for that to work, mine has one input and one output also
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been doing some more research and thinking (uh-oh, that thinking stuff usually gets me in trouble). Is it possible (practical?) to use an external control for the heat pump, actuators for the valves, and a timer to schedule times to heat the pool (at set temperature for the pool) and heat the spa (at spa set temperature)?
    Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Pretty sure that the automation system would allow you to set different run time and temperatures. Although it could be a little tricky depending if schedule or temperature take priority.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!